• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Defense Shotgun storage ideas with small Children in the house???

That would be perfect, but it's pricey! For $200 I'd probably rather get one of the cheap sheet metal locking gun cabinets and put a couple long guns in it.

I like the RFID idea so I don't fumble for a key, or enter a combo. Biometrics are nice for that too. I agree that a cheaper locking cabinet does get the job done though.

I'm thinking I'll just get one of these Stack On 8 Gun cabinets for $98 from Walmart. I don't care if my guns burn up, I just don't want some kids getting ahold of them when I'm not home.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-GCB-908-DS-8-Gun-Security-Cabinet/14710763#about-item

Stick it in the closet and unlock it when you get ready for bed, leaving the cruiser ready AR easily accessible.

Got me one from Dicks last year. On sale for 100, and then I used a 20% off coupon they sent me I the mail. :)

My two cents

Semi auto pistol on the bedroom top closet shelf under some blankets - Semi auto Pistol under mattress - Semi auto Pistol in medicine cabinet - Semi auto Pistol in kitchen cabinet - Semi auto Pistol in living room recliner Pocket - Carry pistol on night stand while I sleep - The rest is locked in the safe - overkill ? I'm sure - anyway

My little one is 21 now and survived this same routine throughout his childhood - I kept them all empty with the magazine hidden and out of reach but in the vicinity while he was young and went back to "pre rug rat" leaving them loaded with the chamber empty as he matured - as a single dad with a latch key kid he was home alone often as a teenager - incidentally "home alone" would've been a much shorter movie had my son been the star

Lots of child education & supervision is required regardless of how firearms are stored in the home - I believe learning firearm safety along with hunting (tagging along with dad) for the understanding of the finality of death at a early age is instrumental - I would not recommend my system with a child who's only understanding of firearms is to shoot off screen to reload and then hit the reset button to re spawn three more lives or one that I was feeding psychotropic drugs to - IMHO

Although I've read it doesn't happen with modern shotguns, I prefer not to test it. The farrier we use had one go off driving down a rough road. Saw the damage to the headliner. Supposedly only some over unders and coach guns are able to do it because of the hammer, but I'll leave the drop testing to someone else, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom