home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose13Bud

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Someone suggested I should get a rifle/shotgun for home defense instead of my 9mm. I really do not know anything about shotguns and have not shot one since I was a teenager.
I was hoping for some direction and/or suggestions.

thanks

Remington 870 pump. Cheap, easy to use and goes bang every time and you can get some parts at the local hardware store. Ammo is not as important as I believe that the shot and wad move as 1 for about 10 feet before separating from each other. Typical shot shell has about 450gr or so of projectiles (pellets) in a 2 3/4 shell.

You will get lots of opinions - just sit back and watch.
Mine - "instead" is not an option. You need that handgun so don't give it up. Get very comfortable with it. In tight spaces and small places it can not be beat.
A shotgun is unequaled in my opinion for clearing a space.
The best thing I ever did in this respect was seek some training though. The best thing is becoming proficient with what you got. Anything you can't or won't use is useless.
Good luck with your search.

I have youth models in .410, 20ga and 12ga-all Mossberg pumps. The youth models are shorter and more maneuverable inside your house. My 12ga is loaded with birdshot -1st shell, second two are buck shot and final two are slugs
1st shot is for inside the house, next two are for as they are running to their getaway car and the slugs are for the car doors...lol

pump gun for house. 20ga if kids, women or old folks. any size shot works due to close in work. combat load varying shot as stated in prior posts. practice.

Three rock solid shotguns for home defense,that won't break the bank.
1: Mossberg Model 500
2: Remmington 870 express (tactical)
3: Mavrick 88 (Mossberg product )

Also as said above the youth models are great for working in tight spots.

The accessories I would run.(KISS)
1: flash light
2: sling
3: a front bead sight...basic and fast

Last edited:
To many factors really go into what the right home defense gun is. It varies person to person. Some factors to think about.

How many tight turns are in your home?
Do you have children? If so are they on the same floor as you?
Do you have any none children loving with you not sleeping in the same room?
Do you have a spouse that might need to use the home protection?
Is this a house? Or Apartment?
Your stature.

For my house I have a wife and a newborn that sleeps in our room as of right now. I have very tight turns threw out my house. I keep a AK and my edc in the room next to the bed. If my wife wakes me up because she hears something it's not easy for me to swing a shotgun or in my case a AK around the tight corners so I always grab my g17. Her pistol on her side of the bed and my AK is basically for her if I don't come back.

Really it's up to you with what you feel is adequate. Buy ammo and Training before blowing money on another gun. Shoot often practice makes perfect. If all you own and can afford is a bolt action mag fed 22lr be the baddest motherfer around with it by training hard. Obviously a 22 isn't the best choice but you get my analogy.

Basically Train Train Train you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom