• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both a handgun and a pump/semi shotgun.

If I think I hear something I'll grab the pistol. If I know I heard something I grab the shotgun.

Best to lay in wait, behind cover, calling 911 if actually an intrusion is occurring. Best advantage right there.

If possible get with someone or a shooting range and pop some clays. It's a riot and most love it. It will help develop skills that are invaluable if in a life threatening scenario.

My range SRGC allows non-members to shoot clays on Wed (afternoons) and Sat/Sun. Bring a shotgun and ammo (#7-1/2 to 8 shot) for clay. Most will recommend 00 buckshot for self defense and a few a slug or two at the end of the tube. 00 buck is good for about 100 yard radius and a slug will crack an engine block and eventually stop a car. Both will defeat a car door rather easily.

Last edited:
I HAVE A PUMP 870 20 INCH BARREL 12 GAUGE BESIDE BED WITH MODIFIED CHOKE NUMBER 1 BUCK SHOT IN IT. 45 ON NIGHT STAND AND WIFE HAS LCR 38 SPL ON HER NIGHT STAND WE HAVE A BOXER AND CHIHUAHUA IN HOUSE AND 2 GEESE AND 3 LAB MIX IN YARD. NOTHING GETS IN YARD THAT GEESE DONT HOLLER. NOTHING GETS IN YARD THAT IM NOT ALERTED TO.

I loved my Mossberg 500 until I heard bumps in the night and went to clear the house. Try opening a shut bathroom door while holding a 12 gauge, it certainly changed my perspective! Sure, I have one for the room in case I am holed up waiting for the cops to come, but for anything else I have a CZ with tac rail and light on the front.

Grab a broom handle and pretend your are clearing the house in the daytime and see what you think.

1st shot is for inside the house, next two are for as they are running to their getaway car and the slugs are for the car doors...lol

Since this is a newbie wanting advise and takes this seriously...
Sound like a probable murder charge. You cannot use deadly force on someone that is running away. Unless you can articulate they are running to retrieve a weapon, and be able to sustanciate said belief. Once the threat is over you cannot use deadly force.

Pic of my home defense shotgun, which is also my "truck gun" in my vehicle as I travel.
20 gauge mossberg 500 " Bantam" -- their term for youth / women sized. Stock is 1" shorter than normal and fore-end extends back closer to receiver.

It's got a rifle-sighted smooth bore slug barrel, 18" (I have another barrel, longer and with choke tubes, for hunting and sport shooting).

It's wearing a cheap $40 laser/ light combo that works well and has been on a variety of guns over the years, from .22 plinkers to sawed-off 12-gauge shotties.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 33
P.S. Unlike an AR carbine, this is an inexpensive weapon.
Mossberg and Stevens and similar brand pump shotguns cost $170-$250.
With a $40 - $70 light and laser unit, you've got a lot of gun for under $300.

I like a shotgun for close range work. Tight turns can be a burden when trying to maneuver quickly with a shotgun, as already stated, but where reach is concerned a shotgun isn't really any longer than your arms extended while shooting a handgun so if you are comfortable maneuvering in your home with a shotgun that would be my suggestion. Practice and train with that mother until it is second nature, then practice some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom