• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about but no one wants to say why (except for the 870 bit). Good luck to you . . . and me. :) It doesn't matter -- shotguns are fun. You should have one.
OK, but just to get good info out there.....not to give you a hard time.

"Here are my suggestions.

I suggest that your pistol is fine, but if you want to add a shotgun and know nothing about them, be practical. Get a semi-automatic gun (the 870 mentioned I think is semi-automatic) because it'll take some of the work out of the equation. A pump can be hard to manage -- I can't do it under calm conditions.
The 870 thing has already been cleared up, but another reason to use a pump has been reliability over the semis. I don't think this is valid anymore, but you will still hear it occasionally.

Get a "brush gun." That is, one with a shorter barrel like you would use if hunting in the brush, rather than shooting at geese high up in the air. Get an open choke, which simply means the barrel is more open or "bigger" at the muzzle so the shot spreads out over a shorter distance. Modified or closed choke -- hope I used the right terms -- are for distance shooting.
The shorter barrel is a very good idea, but is taken care of in a typical HD shotgun and the HDs have a higher capacity than a short barreled hunting weapon. How quickly the shot spreads in HD situation is irrelevant because of the close range. However, use of an open choke is still a good idea when shooting slugs (less stress on the barrel) and buckshot. A tight choke can actually cause the larger buckshot pellets to bounce off each other as they leave the barrel causing very erratic patters even at close range.

Get a 12-gauge because it's more powerful and more versatile. You can hunt anything with a 12-gauge from squirrel and rabbit to deer. For home defense it'll give you the most power and the most pellets per shot.

Only use big shot if it's for home defense. Not rabbit shot. Buck shot with "high brass" which is just a high-power powder charge is good.
Even birdshot at close range is effective and often times buckshot is not a good idea due to over penetration. The same is true of slugs. You need to adapt the ammo to your living conditions.

Make sure its magazine will hold many rounds. You can always buy a plug to limit the capacity for hunting, if you want to.

Don't get the tactical, black, pistol grip shotgun. You have no familiarity with shotguns, so get a nice wood one that would be at home in the field shooting birds. It'll be the same gun except for appearance. My reasoning is that you might actually want to go hunting, and you'll want to look the part when you do. But at home, the burglar won't care whether you use a hunting gun or a tactical one. Besides, there's something a little bit cool about defending your property with multi-purpose tools that just happen to be nearby.
If you are talking about shotguns that have only a pistol grip and no stock, I couldn't agree more. However, most HD shotguns are made of black polymers now and it would severely limit the viable choices if you insist on wood. Also, HD shotguns are specialty tools and there is no need to compromise effectiveness by getting a multi-purpose weapon.

My personal "arsenal" consists of a 9mm pistol and a 100+ year old 12-gauge side-by-side double. If you think you might need much more than that it's time to relocate."
If there is a possibility of a bad guy invading my house I want a hell of a lot more than two rounds from my HD shotgun. If I have moved to an area that this is not a concern, then I don't need a shotgun at all.

Bear44 -- excellent points. Thank you.

My only caveat is that I perceived the OP wasn't interested in a monstrous defensive position, but was questioning a friend's comment about the OP possibly needing more gun. For me, there are a lot of self defense and security measures (very simple and basic) that are second nature, and choice of weapons -- for me -- is based on simplicity and a desire that everything should serve multiple purposes. For example, if I like squirrel hunting, I'll pick a squirrel gun that's suitable but that also will be suitable for home defense.

On the other hand, if I see an AR that I just need for no good reason, then I'll have to buy it! (For home defense, of course.) :D

Edited to add: Other measures meaning locking house and car doors, leaving porch lights on, situational awareness, changing routes to and from work, etc.

Last edited:
Bear44 -- excellent points. Thank you.

My only caveat is that I perceived the OP wasn't interested in a monstrous defensive position, but was questioning a friend's comment about the OP possibly needing more gun. For me, there are a lot of self defense and security measures (very simple and basic) that are second nature, and choice of weapons -- for me -- is based on simplicity and a desire that everything should serve multiple purposes. For example, if I like squirrel hunting, I'll pick a squirrel gun that's suitable but that also will be suitable for home defense.

On the other hand, if I see an AR that I just need for no good reason, then I'll have to buy it! (For home defense, of course.) :D

Edited to add: Other measures meaning locking house and car doors, leaving porch lights on, situational awareness, changing routes to and from work, etc.
Dude, you forgot about the zombies. Never forget the zombies! They are the best justification to get all kinds of tacticool stuff. :becky:

Oh, sh*t! I forgot about zombies!

Good God I'm dragging this out, but you're right and we do have zombies! Those maniacs who snort bath salts and then eat people alive -- zombies. Back on topic . . . a 12-gauge should settle the matter.

I would never shoulder mine either.

Attachments

• 20151113_184850.jpg
    20151113_184850.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151113_184813.jpg
    20151113_184813.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 13
My problem with using an AR in 5.56 is the literally deafening report it would make inside my house. My bedroom opens to a hallway so that would add to the noise problem. I honestly don't know if a 12 gauge would be better or worse but I have to think it would be less given how many times I have shot one without hearing protection while hunting.

My suppressed, 16" barreled AR is way too long to effectively maneuver in my home so I'm trying to figure out the most effective alternative that won't leave me stunned and deaf after one shot.

But if someone's behind the door or pushes it towards you there's no way you can fire in that position?
In that sensation you would be at a disadvantage either way and would need to create separation for a gun to be effective. At that time you would probably need to rely on basic hand to hand skills.

Last edited:
My problem with using an AR in 5.56 is the literally deafening report it would make inside my house. My bedroom opens to a hallway so that would add to the noise problem. I honestly don't know if a 12 gauge would be better or worse but I have to think it would be less given how many times I have shot one without hearing protection while hunting.

My suppressed, 16" barreled AR is way too long to effectively maneuver in my home so I'm trying to figure out the most effective alternative that won't leave me stunned and deaf after one shot.
Any of the three choices is going to be very loud inside an enclosed space, but you probably won't even notice it in those circumstances. A shotgun will be just as loud, if not louder, than an AR.

The optimum weapon would be a suppressed SBR, but there is also the shock factor of an unsuppressed weapon against the intruder. The theory is that you definitely want the bad guy to know you are shooting at him in the rudest possible way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom