• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobbs is going to SBR my 300blk and I'm going to put a can on it. I think any gun with sufficient energy will do just fine. For most of us who find themselves in the extremely unlikely situation of shooting a home invader in the typical low light, high stress environment, expecting tight groups is optimistic at best. What always bums me out is when I hear stories of intruders being fired upon and then running away. Even if they do eventually end up rightfully dead. Breaking into an occupied house is a terrible crime, it easily makes burglary minor league in comparison. I don't believe too many people run off after getting hit with a 12 gauge, even if the vital organs are misssed. That's what I want.

With that said I either have my S&W 28 loaded with buffalo bore, my hearing already sucks ☺ or my Glock 19 with a 33 round magazine. But I may be switching out to my mossy 500. I also have a vicious to strangers dog, I wouldn't want to be in the house with her. An alarm is also a great line of defense, but mine isn't even hooked up.

Last edited:
Evaluating ones "passive defenses" i.e. monitored security system, dead bolt locks on all the doors, inside or outside dogs that bark, surv. cameras, motion activated lights, etc. all make your home a harder target for a criminal.
Of course all of those can be overcome if you just open the door for anyone that knocks so be vigilant of any approach from unknown persons.

From a firearms standpoint very few women in my experience training hundreds of ladies can handle the recoil of a 12 ga. pump, much less operate it efficiently.
It can be done but requires more training than what most ladies are willing to put into it.
A 20 ga. is still very effective and usually is slightly smaller for shooters of slighter build like ladies or teenagers.

Regardless of the gun selected it is critical for them to spend time on the range with someone who has expertise in firearms so that they can become proficient.

Using it does not become any easier when you are awakened at 2:00 a.m. from a dead sleep while someone is breaking into your home.

I'll be honest, I continue to re-think my HD solution....
Have 2 HD 500's (no pistol grips) and a 590
Few AKs and a couple VZ58's with folding stocks
Had a few M92's which, from a size an d number of rounds perspective is good... But 7.62
Few AR's
On the pistol side, both 9MM and 45

Have security on all doors... activated at night and when ever we leave

Dog... A Cockapoo, so maybe some barking, but laughter from any intruder that spots her

I am thinking the 556 and 7.62 will penetrate too much, like into the neighbor's house
The 500's have not made it to the bedside yet, but I am thinking I need to make this move. On is set up with a flashlight and I have a bayonet for this... do not keep it attached
Keep an XD 45 next the bed with a couple extra mags.... Also an 850 Lumen Defiant that can substitute as a club....

My wife is real close to taking a shooting class, do until then, I will let her dial 911.

Last edited:
Number 4 or 6 shot is good for home defense. It doesn't have the weight to penetrate multiple layers of wall but is sufficient enough to take down a would be perp. By the time it goes through a couple of walls it won't have enough steam to mortaley wound a person at distance. Buck shot and slugs on the other hand is a different story all together. When the shot comes out of the walls a person would have to standing right near the wall it exited from to have any damaging effect. That's exactly why defense trainers recommend bird shot for home defense.

However if the shot were to only pass through one wall all bets are off. You always have to take into consideration " What If ". The higher number of shot the less chance there is to pass through multiple layers of wall construction but the less effect it would have on the perp. It's highly debated topic. I don't think anyone has the perfect answer. The perfect scenario is to use what you want and don't miss. LOL

I have these strategically placed throughout my house.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_12_7cd3d6bb2a849426f192c854d06506bf.jpg

I'll be honest, I continue to re-think my HD solution....
Have 2 HD 500's (no pistol grips) and a 590
Few AKs and a couple VZ58's with folding stocks
Had a few M92's which, from a size an d number of rounds perspective is good... But 7.62
Few AR's
On the pistol side, both 9MM and 45

Have security on all doors... activated at night and when ever we leave

Dog... A Cockapoo, so maybe some barking, but laughter from any intruder that spots her

I am thinking the 556 and 7.62 will penetrate too much, like into the neighbor's house
The 500's have not made it to the bedside yet, but I am thinking I need to make this move. On is set up with a flashlight and I have a bayonet for this... do not keep it attached
Keep an XD 45 next the bed with a couple extra mags.... Also an 850 Lumen Defiant that can substitute as a club....

My wife is real close to taking a shooting class, do until then, I will let her dial 911.
Over penetration from a rifle round is easily overcome by proper ammunition selection. A 55 grain varmint bullet in the 556 is not only an excellent choice to prevent over penetration, it is also an excellent man stopper, because it will dump most, if not all, of it's energy into the target. Of course the drawback is that it's not great on barrier penetration, but you can't have both minimal over penetration and good barrier penetration.

I have these strategically placed throughout my house.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_12_7cd3d6bb2a849426f192c854d06506bf.jpg

Nice and any idiot brave enough to attack while opening a door will expect a blast from inches to a few feet. I train shooting weak one handed it can be done, easiest with a pistol but you can manage a long gun, harder with a pump/lever/bolt though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom