• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Electric Problem

Last time this occurred about 2 years ago I killed the power to the whole house and tightened all the lug screws in the neutral buss bar inside the breaker panel. It fixed the problem then. Guess I will try it again tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks!

Other receptacles on that circuit read the same? Or normal? Other circuits?
Could be a grounding issue or loose/open neutral.
I am going to have to unload a bookcase to get to one receptacle behind it that I never have used in 14 years. The other two outlets in the room appear to be wired together and read the same. Thanks.

I agree with the loose / open neutral. Makes sense.

Not a GFCI.

Not the only outlet on this circuit. Hot to neutral is 77 VAC. Hot to ground is 120 VAC. Neutral to ground is 19 VAC (makes no sense to me).
You’ve lost the neutral upstream from or at that outlet. Start there and work your way back. Check the taps/splices and connections to the outlets. Make sure everything is good at each location.

I agree with checking all the other outlets on the circuit, I usualy work my way back toward the panel along the circuit. Taps could also be made in light and switch boxes.

I always start with the power off so I can easily identify everything on that circuit.

Last time this occurred about 2 years ago I killed the power to the whole house and tightened all the lug screws in the neutral buss bar inside the breaker panel. It fixed the problem then. Guess I will try it again tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks!

This is more than likely the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom