• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Made PVC IWB holster

Samjo

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
I did this a few years back, but ran across the post, and decided it might be interesting to post it here.

I keep my SCCY as my "truck gun". It's not my everyday carry, but it could be. Anyway...I found myself in a situation after work one day, where I would have been more comfortable carrying. I'm not allowed to carry at work...but had my SCCY in the truck. I ended up going "nekkid" because I didn't have a holster.

I decided to try my hand at making one.

Here's what I started with...a scrap piece of PVC left over from plumbing my wood working shop for dust collection.

107_zps46f654cc.jpg

This is what it looked like, after cutting it long ways...and flattening it out.

108_zpse99046d1.jpg

To be sure there was a channel to keep the front sight from hanging....I taped a piece of scrap wood along the top of the pistol, the height of the sight.

109_zps750d2e2a.jpg

There was some experimentation done with notebook paper, as well as looking at other holsters in the design stage. This is the basic shape, rough cut.

110_zps2b647e27.jpg

It don't take long with the heat gun, to make the PVC pliable and it's pretty easy to shape. All forming was done with my hands, while wearing gloves.

111_zps4173f860.jpg

This is the back side...that will ride against my body. I tried to keep it as smooth as possible.

112_zps7b842002.jpg

To be continued..........................

Gun retention is accomplished with those two dimples you see...catching inside the trigger guard, in front of the trigger. I got it a little too tight to start with, but it was simple enough to heat it some more, and loosen it up.

113_zpsf52d354b.jpg

I cut a piece of scrap wood to use as a form, to create the belt loop.

114_zps5c36acff.jpg

Here's the completed belt loop.

115_zps795cf7ac.jpg

I did a little shaping on the band saw, and sanded all the edges.

116_zpsc9a690e4.jpg

There's only one rivet holding it together.

118_zps1692461a.jpg

To be continued...........

This is the inside/backside again. Pretty smooth. It took a little more heat, and finesse to get the fit just right. If I shook it..the gun would rattle, but not fall out. I heated it up, and pressed it down tighter, against the barrel and trigger guard, and now it fits snug as a bug in a rug. No rattle at all no matter how hard you shake it. I made sure the holster wouldn't cover up the Mag release button, cause you sure don't want to accidentally dump your mag when drawing.

119_zps7ed17baa.jpg

I painted it with some Duplicolor flat brown paint, made for plastics. Here's the final product.

IMG_0736_zpsff735de9.jpg

IMG_0737_zpsffa96f24.jpg

IMG_0738_zpsb91d402b.jpg

Since it's an Inside the Waist Band holster, the only thing that will show is the 1.5"x1.5" belt loop, and the grip of the gun, but an untucked shirt will cover both.

I'm not sure how it'll hold up for the long run. The belt clip may crack over time, or it may lose some of it's shape. Who knows?

The gun will not be stored in it as it lives elsewhere in the truck. The holster will live empty in the door pocket. The main thing is...I won't have to go "nekkid" again due to being holsterless.

If this is something you, like me, have been thinking about trying....give it a go. It was a fun, quick project, and because I had the tools, and scrap PCV, I ended up with a total investment of $1.73. I had to buy the rivets! LOL

Back
Top Bottom