• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Security Cameras

Piglatinhater

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
82   3
Reaction score
What do you guys use for you budget home security system?

I am looking for:
-Motion Activated recording
-User friendly
-Has an app/can be viewed from cell phone
-Wireless maybe?
-$300 range

If you are any good with Computers you can use IP Cameras to keep the cost down. You can set them up on your home network, download free software for your phone, use port forwarding on your home router to avoid additional costs of someone else s server. You can set them to record and send snapshots to your email on your smartphone and you can look in anytime you want to using a free app. You don't need a 3rd party to manage your setup or have access into your IP cams. I have 3 cameras like that and trying out another system with 4 other cameras. Most IP cams have motion sensors built in. There is also 3rd party free software to have them record all the time using an external HDD for storage. You can purge it weekly yourself or have it done automatically.

That can be done using your home PC and about $300 using some good IP cams. the only problem is you have to have the computer skills to set it all up.

Depends on if you want monthly fees or not.

Security systems... monthly fees; security cameras alone, not often. Some of the security systems include cameras so expect to pay more dollars and monthly fees. Cheap IP cameras are often just that - cheap. For good quality cameras and a high quality network based video recorder, expect prices to increase well above $300, but no monthly fees.

I just put in a Simplisafe system with 2 cameras. I like it so far but the monitoring does not include camera storage. You can watch live on your cellphone but for them to record it is another $4.99 per month.

Also, Simplisafe has smoke, water, freeze and motion detection but doesn't do a LOT of home automation. I'm learning about Z Wave but Simplisafe doesn't seem to integrate with it.

You CAN integrate the Nest Thermostats and I am considering getting one installed. My Trane thermostat backlight won't come on after the last storm. I'm thinking power surge. Well, when I removed the face to look at the back and replaced it the back light came on for a second but won't operate properly. Any way. The Nest is pretty interesting. It's Wifi connected and it "learns" from how you set it, rather than running on a fixed schedule.

I have the Arlo system (4 cameras). Wireless and battery powered. Batteries last about 4 months. I have one mounted in the yard pointed back at the house. I am happy with their performance (even the night vision).

Back
Top Bottom