• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Homemade Fire Starters

An old guy that grew up in the depression used to make Fireballs every fall for the local country kids. Making them takes patience. Get 100 percent pure plain cotton string, start winding it into a ball. Wind tight as possible. When one Hank of string runs out tie ends and keep winding..tight! It will eventually get about as big as a softball. Make a few dozen of them. Put in a bucket and keep them soaking in kerosene for 3 weeks. Put them in a pile, light them. Now the kids fun starts. You reach into the fire bare handed & grab you a fireball. Throw it high, hard & fast. Fire arcs across the sky, it hits ground and another kid grabs and throws it back. Gloves help but bare hands can handle the fire but be quick. Eventually the ball of string unravels to about golf ball size & not much fun left to that one so you grab another big fireball. They stay lit. But don't burn up. Used to be a huge thing down here in the country.

Lol, I've always cooked it in the house! Then again I also make my own black powder. I haven't seen anybody ever mention this guy on ODT but The King of Random has a good video on sugar rocket fuel as well. He experiments with four different variations of recipes too. He is dead now, no relation to rockets.....he died in an ultralight plane crash. Sad because he put out some cool how to videos.

It was a good death

I know the ol Cotton balls or rounds in vasoline then dipped in wax but ive been wondering if there was a better accelerant to use. Anyone ever tried making them with Kerosene or diesel fuel before coating with wax?

Random quarantine thoughts i figured id share

Trying to replicate or improve the performance of the Pathfinder Inferno starters
https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/mini-inferno
I dunk the flat pads of cotton in wax and they work amazing

Back
Top Bottom