• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda 2.4 Stuck Rings

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I picked up a 2008 Accord with the 2.4 about 2 months ago. Has 108k on it. This was a quick purchase and I didn't make time to research any possible issues with this year/model. I've already replaced the VTC Actuator myself after it quit a month into owning the car. Now I find out the rings are stuck and burning oil at least a quart every 1k. Honda has made it official that this is acceptable but to me and any knowledgeable mechanic, we know its not. Has anyone ever done a before an after with Seafoam or a similar product to remove buildup and un-stick their oil rings? Honda put out a S/B but it expired on the car last year. I'm thinking about pouring it directly into the CC and letting it sit overnight and then also mixing the appropriate amount into the crankcase. Adding oil as needed is not that big of a deal but if I'm ever going to attempt to try this, now is the time before it really gets baked into the rings for another 100k miles. Oil consumption will obviously get worse during that time too as the clearances increase. Thoughts?

Soak rings in MMO. Stuck rings are very common in Saturns and MMO takes care of it. Pull sparkplugs, put 1/4 cup of MMO in each cylinder. Leave it overnight. Cover spark plug holes with a rag and turn over engine by hand to push MMO out. Repeat, if needed.

Reactions: MRM
Soak rings in MMO. Stuck rings are very common in Saturns and MMO takes care of it. Pull sparkplugs, put 1/4 cup of MMO in each cylinder. Leave it overnight. Cover spark plug holes with a rag and turn over engine by hand to push MMO out. Repeat, if needed.

I jut went to search for your post about this from last week, but you posted here before I could find it and make it back

Does it smoke pretty bad ?
Trips the check engine light ?
No and no. No smoke on startup or under accel.
Never tried MMO for that. I think I’ll try with SF first since I already have that. Then MMO if I dont see results.

Thanks for the replies fellas... Hoping to try this in a couple weeks and see what happens.

Also, stepping up viscosity one level , ie 5-40 instead of 5-30 and replacing up to 25% of oil by MMO is a good way to slowly clean up a gunked up engine. Takes at least 500 miles.
I camped out on Bob Is the Oil Guy forum for years and years and both MMO piston soak and MMO in oil were highly recomended. I cleaned several used cars using MMO in oil (added some to the oil 500 miles before the oil change). Oil was blacker than black when I drained it.

try diesel if those others dont work stick a dowel into the cylinder
a rap it with a hammer

or kerosene...i ran some through a honda i had with sticking
valves and it freed them up

Try the "dexos" gm certified oil if all else fails. (Black bottle Castrol edge)
The dexos is in green letters
I am not sure what the difference is, but I am a believer now.
I used other high quality oils....the "proper" oil solved my slightly high consumption for now.

Back
Top Bottom