• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda Mechanic - Transmission swap on 2001 Accord

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
I don't want to buy the transmission until I know who's putting it in. Car is currently sitting at residence. Really looking for good work here, and need the head gaskets replaced also. References are a plus or a multi year employment with reputable shop. Give me some info or shoot me a line. I have no tools no jack no nada. So I'd most likely have it hauled to mechanics choice of location. No amateurs here...it's my mother's car and I'm helping her out of a bad way.

Call Pacific Engine Company in Norcross GA. They specialize in low mileage import motors and transmission for Honda and other Japanese vehicles.

For the price of a head gasket job,you could prob have a new engine installed. Have the engine mated to the transmission before installing and you kill two birds with one stone. Save on labor and save money.

Call Pacific Engine Company in Norcross GA. They specialize in low mileage import motors and transmission for Honda and other Japanese vehicles.

For the price of a head gasket job,you could prob have a new engine installed. Have the engine mated to the transmission before installing and you kill two birds with one stone. Save on labor and save money.
Hells bells...I didn't think gaskets were in that neighborhood. What would you say, if you can, is a fair price (ballpark) for labor on both jobs? Thank you so much for the reccomendation. I'll be phoning them in the a.m.

Head gasket would probably be around $500 at a minimum parts and labor. You'll need new head bolts,and gaskets/other parts at a minimum. Head bolts are a 1 use time item. Once tightened,they can't be reused.

The timing belt has to come off in order to get the head off. May as well change that while you're in there too. Never change a timing belt without doing the water pump too while you're at it. The list goes on and on.

You'll also want to have the machine shop pressure test the head for cracks, test valves etc and machine milled and trued before installation. Not to mention the other things to check

Shoot me a PM with your number if you'd like. I'll be glad to discuss options and my experience with Honda's.

In another life,I worked at a Honda dealer and went to school for Import auto repair. I do not work on vehicles anymore but can try and help help steer you in the right direction

I will say that a trans job and head gasket job parts and labor will probably cost more than the 2001 Honda is worth

My brother in law is a master certified Honda tech. Over 25 years at Honda dealers. He recently went to an independent shop, and their labor rates aren't as high as the stealer.

I could put you in contact with him IF you were willing to get the car to Macon. He is a fair and honest man, as are the shop owners where he now works.

Back
Top Bottom