bought from autozone,think it was an airtex. it sounded so
bad/loud i sold the car because of it

car was running fine untill i added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and the
pump decided to take a ****

be forwarned if anyone cares. i believe this masterpro fuel pump to be
a rebadged $12 ebay special with a big markup. dont care if i get a
refund,just wanted to hear the car run. will order a denso or other name
brand next, but not from an autoparts chain btw

I don't know why it hasn't been previously mentioned, but the pumps at the gas stations have a fuel filter, behind the service cover. If you've ever seen the service door open, it looks similar to a automotive spin-on oil filter. Also, most newer autos have plastic fuel tanks, so there's no problems with rust, as the vehicle ages. As well, the underground tanks are made of composite material. Water in the fuel is the main concern. Water is heavier than gasoline, therefore, it settles to the bottom of the storage vessel(and your car's tank). Unfortunately, that's where the pick-up tube is drawing fuel from. If you add 'ISO-HEET' to your fuel occasionally, the alcohol will absorb the water, and it will be burned away during combustion. A reason to keep your tank closer to full, especially in a vehicle that doesn't get driven often, is the less fuel in your tank, the more air is in it. Amplified in the summer heat, the moisture in this excess air condensates, drips back into the fuel, contaminating it. Another thing to watch for, if possible, NEVER fill your car, when the tanker truck is delivering fuel. When the enormous flow of fuel is being dumped, it stirs up all that previously mentioned water and dirt gremlins lurking at the depths of the underground holding tanks, not settling for close to an hour later. Although the afore mentioned pump filters should capture the particulates, the water can still make its way through, along with the gasoline. As a final note(whew!) my '08 Malibu w/130k+ has no fuel filter, either.

Back
Top Bottom