• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honey do list just got longer...380 or 9?

Which Caliber

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 9mm

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
I don't think I would recommend that especially to a newer shooter. It forces you to put your finger on the trigger to release the safety?!! That doesn't sound like it makes anything safer.. if you need an external safety then a glock is not for you. This is creating a problem where there isn't one..

You do not have to put your finger "on" the trigger as in pulling the trigger. Only on the side to push the button left to take safety off.

Is she gonna carry? Does it need to be micro? Glock 19 or similar size guns are more user friendly (especially newbies). Micro pistols are more snappy and generally harder to manipulate for people new to shooting or weak wristed, etc. Often, girls want the "cute lil pistol"...until they shoot it.
Cute little pistols can kick like a wild pig...

The .380 will be much easier to rack the slide on, compared to a 9mm. The nine will use a stiffer spring to slow the slide down from the greater push that the 9 x 19 mm will generate.

I think the best carry pistol for most women is a 380 semi-auto, single stack mag, "safe action" type trigger is best, but a DA/SA action is OK too, if the first shot's double-action pull is not too long or hard.

Compared to a small .38 snubby revolver, the semi-auto will give you 2 or 3 more shots, be flatter and equally easy to conceal in a holster (though probably not loose in a pocket), will have a lot less recoil and muzzle flip, have bigger and easier to see sights, and have a shorter and lighter trigger pull.

The .380 will be much easier to rack the slide on, compared to a 9mm. The nine will use a stiffer spring to slow the slide down from the greater push that the 9 x 19 mm will generate.

Really depends IF its a locked breech or a Blow back 380, or 9 MM, although the blowback 380 is a lot more numerous.
MY Sig 238 feels like it runs on ball bearings, everyone that tries it is quite surprised by how smooth and easy it is, the Sig flat recoil spring also makes racking a lot easier and has extended spring life as well.
Lots of things come into play on smoothness . ease of slide manipulation.

I just handled a S&W Shield .380 EZ at a gun store counter, and it felt VERY easy to rack the slide. The grip was slim, too.
It's got a single stack 8-round mag.
Excellent sights.
I assume a good trigger pull, like the 9mm Shield I shot last year.

I watched a gun show on outdoor trader simply because I couldn't find anything else. It was shooing Gallery I believe. It was about women and they guns they preferred. Believe it or not more of them preferred the full size gun. I think it was because of recoil management and the longer sight radius. Which would explain the G19. The 642 is an excellent choice for carry.

Back
Top Bottom