• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady 124gr xtp

n8ture boy

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
50   0
Reaction score
hey, anyone load these in 9mm, none of my manuals list it, I can work with it but rather try something someone has come up with, I have win 231, unique, power pistol, titegroup, have been searching but would like to hear from some who load this.
Also what OAL works, I know 1.060 is min, that's a little short for my liking , will be shooting a glock.
Thanks alot

124gn XTP? Use start load for 124gn jacketed bullets.
If you want Hornady data for Hornady bullets, you buy the Hornady 8th and 9th edition manuals or call Hornady.
Hornady has the SAME load data for 124gn FMJ-RN, 124gn HP-XTP and 124gn FMJ-FP, so the XTP is not some special bullet. The only difference is the test COL, which really means nothing in terms of your loading, other than maybe a minimum COL for THAT bullet with THAT load data. They used a 1.060" COL for testing the XTP, and 1.050" for the FP.
I find that 1.100" often works well, but it isn't optimum for many bullets. COL depends on the bullet's ogive and YOUR gun's chamber and magazine and feed ramp, so it is something the reloader has to determine.
SAAMI COL is 1.000" MIN and 1.169" MAX.
Hornady 9th Edition data—
win 231: did not report
unique: 4.0-5.0gn
power pistol: 4.3-5.7gn
titegroup:did not report

Thanks noylj, I can work with that, I thought some who do load those may have found an accurate recipe I could try and see if it works for me, thanks again

the powder manufactures have the best info typically .(look online)
the Hornady XTP being a modern hollow point can be loaded to the same levels as the gold dot or Golden sabre.
the larger cavity in the hollow point makes the projectile slightly longer than a conventional lead or jacketed projectile.
Never use all copper or frangible projectiles at the same level as standard Hp or FMJ.
a pet load really is only for a particular pistol , using a particular case/projectile. primer, every weapon is just a tad different.
I would assume that you are going to use these for self defense and so you should set them up to run reliabally in YOUR weapon.
hope this helps, the XTP is a very good projectile..

Hey flashover16, you are right, I was being lazy I guess, I know where to start loading these, and I know to tweak them to my weapon is a process, guess I better get started, thanks a lot

I will attempt to obtain the OAL from a factory round and use that as a starting point and use it in several guns, checking for function.

For years I did without a chronograph making hunting and plinking ammo then when I got into a suppressor found I needed one. Downloading for this projectile defeats the work that went into creating it as well as the cost incurred.

The factory spent great effort in making a round for the masses why not attempt to duplicate their work. They are pushing that bullet at 1,110 FPS.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-124-gr-XTP/

http://boardreader.com/thread/9mm_124_XTP_Data_19z7Xcjsl.html

Hey all, finally got around to loading the 124gr xtp, I settled on 4.3gr win 231, and a COL at, 1.100, they group pretty well out of a glock 43, thanks for all that replyed

Good stuff. I used a lot of Win 231 it's a great ball type powder that pours like water. It's a rather fast powder so economical but at higher pressures and easier to double charge. If you are using data for a 4" barrel the Glock 43 with a 3.39 in will be a bit less velocity. A chronograph will tell you just how much.

Here are some other powders that perform well with the 124 grain jacketed bullet. These are out of a 4" barrel.

upload_2016-2-21_20-41-38.png

One of my personal favorites is AA #7. Note the pressure differences both are PSI. This is out of a 4" barrel.

upload_2016-2-21_20-47-44.png

I have used 231/Hp-38, and HS-6 for the 9 MM.
The HS-6 is a bit dirty but my favorite is Accurate #5.
I generally use ACC #5 for the 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM and 45 acp, so its pretty versatile as well.
good spherical powder that flows well, gives good performance, enough load density that no danger of double charge unless you are blind.
good performance as well.
ACC #7 is close and a second cousin with the same attributes as #5.

I use a lot of the CFE pistol and I love it. Have loaded 9mm with Autocomp and like it to. Oddly enough my favorite for 9mm is power pistol.

Back
Top Bottom