• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady Brass ?

TinManMike

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
111   0
Reaction score
Wanted to see if anybody else has experienced issues with removing spent primers from Hornady rifle brass. I have some once fired 224 valkyrie brass that I shot in both Federal and Hornady. When resizing and de-priming, the Federal sizes nice and primers are removed easily. I tried the same process on the Hornady brass and my decapping pin will not remove the primer. 5 consecutive cases, same result. The primer is pushed about half way out, then it feels like the decapping pin is going to snap. Lot of force, so I backed off.

I'm new to loading rifle, but have been loading pistol for years.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

I'm using RCBS Match dies in the process.

Check if the primer pockets are crimped. Ive had hornady 308 brass that had crimps and needed to be swaged. They may crimp it because 224 valkyrie is a popular msr round. Primer pocket crimps are completely pointless for civilian used ammo.

Check if the primer pockets are crimped. Ive had hornady 308 brass that had crimps and needed to be swaged. They may crimp it because 224 valkyrie is a popular msr round. Primer pocket crimps are completely pointless for civilian used ammo.
I thought about the crimped primers but I thought they would decap and then have to swag.

I’m going to look into the universal decapping die set up. I have a second press just for that.

Thanks

I thought about the crimped primers but I thought they would decap and then have to swag.

I’m going to look into the universal decapping die set up. I have a second press just for that.

Thanks
You're welcome brother. Ive had 5.56 cases that popped the end off the primer they were crimped so tight. If you do have to swage i use the frankford arsenal bench mounted swager. Its pretty quick and efficient. I also use a lee universal decapping die with squirrel daddy hardened pins. They come in packs of 3 but ill lose the other 2 before the first breaks. Ive punched a few berdan primers with it.

With that caliber all the Hornady brass I have shot has had the primers crimped. The primers come out but takes a lil more. Also you may want to Swadge the pockets to get the primers to fit easier back in.

Back
Top Bottom