• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady LNL single stage - help needed

RSBrown

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
My single stage press has gotten very tight, to the point it is affecting my reload "process". I have taken it apart down to the pivot pin at the very bottom and have confirmed (I think) that this is the friction / tight point. My question is - how do I get this pin out to clean and lube it? The other pins came out easily and I have grease to lubricate them, but this one pin won't budge.

I have looked at the Hornady website for help and couldn't find it (probably user error), but wanted to throw this up to this forum before I screw something else up by pounding it out.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated

My single stage press has gotten very tight, to the point it is affecting my reload "process". I have taken it apart down to the pivot pin at the very bottom and have confirmed (I think) that this is the friction / tight point. My question is - how do I get this pin out to clean and lube it? The other pins came out easily and I have grease to lubricate them, but this one pin won't budge.

I have looked at the Hornady website for help and couldn't find it (probably user error), but wanted to throw this up to this forum before I screw something else up by pounding it out.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated
Call Hornady for assistance?

Did you try just spraying it with some sort of penetrating oil to see if it loosens up any? I can tell when my Lyman is starting to get too much resistance, a couple drops of penetrating oil on either side, work it a few times and wipe off the excess and she’s good for another few months

A little better movement, more Kroil, worked it a few times to hopefully get better penetration will let it sit for this morning and see. Maybe Hornady will respond this AM. Thanks everyone

**Update for progress** Only updating so that any new reloader can take full advantage of this old guy being a dumass. The additional kroil and working the action has solved the problem. The problem was that I used the Hornady Case Lube to lubricate the ram and pivot pins, I should have known better as it gums up the action.

Hopefully this will help others to not make this stupid mistake

I had the same issue with mine a few years ago,had to drive the lower pivot pin out as it had galled inside the ram..I polished it up and reinstalled it. I still had issues so I called hornady, and sent it back to them.they checked it out and returned it to me after repairing it

Best post I have read tonight. Both my LNL AP and LNL single stage were getting "tight and sticky" during use. I was wondering why this was happening and thought it was a die hanging up or just the operator. Just wiped everything down (including ram) with 91% IPA and lubed back up with Royal Purple engine assembly lube and all I can say is WOW. I was loading 38 spl yesterday and was having to fight with the down stoke most of the time. Everything is slick feeling and all the sticking is gone. Can't wait to get some more loaded up now.

Back
Top Bottom