• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady v. Speer

BCPerry

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
So, Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot for use in a defensive carry. 40 caliber 180 grain.

I have carried both in my career, but since I'm reloading now, not sure which one I should bulk up on.

I load several different projectiles, depending on gun (as in barrel length) as well as caliber.
I kind of lean to the Hornady XTP for most but I really like the Barnes /COP all copper hollow points in the shorter weapons.
I also have gold dot in many calibers.
So I guess what I am saying is that as long as they run 120% through all of my weapons in a particular caliber then I believe that most any MODERN hollow point will do the job.
I can shoot 50 of mixed brands at 7-10 yards and you can't tell any difference in where they print for me.

I've always found the XTPs go on sale quite a bit so those are what I use in 45ACP and my carry pistols love em. When loading my SD ammo, I go extra slow and use my best brass. I've never had a failure in any of my SD rounds as i shoot them to cycle in new ones and get practice with that load. Just stating for those that frown on carrying your hand rolled rounds...
Good luck and you'll love it!

Back
Top Bottom