• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Horrible gas mileage

Original...I'm surprised...the wife never had the trans fluid changed until 150,000 miles. I've replaced the plenum seal, lifter seals, MAF, ICV, ECM, IAC valve, front wheel hubs, complete rebuild of the a/c system, and all the regular maint. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles (but no leaks), check engine light is on for multiple misfires (spent countless hours trying to figure that out).

Always starts, always goes, always stops...guess we got a winner.

Original...I'm surprised...the wife never had the trans fluid changed until 150,000 miles. I've replaced the plenum seal, lifter seals, MAF, ICV, ECM, IAC valve, front wheel hubs, complete rebuild of the a/c system, and all the regular maint. Burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles (but no leaks), check engine light is on for multiple misfires (spent countless hours trying to figure that out).

Always starts, always goes, always stops...guess we got a winner.

I forgot the thermal clutch, water pump and power steering pump and lines.

All of this is over a 10 year period of time.

ce1b58ed28e8b7a39452659219480ba0.jpg
I used to think that as well, until I saw an Abrams tank that ran over 3 stacked anti-tank mines in Iraq. Not a good day to be a Tanker.

MY 01 DODGE PICKUP HAS ALWAYS BEEN A 15MPG VEHICLE SINCE NEW ! TUNED IT UP WIRE PLUGS LAST YEAR, HAD 90,000 MILES AND IT GETS 16.5 NOW! JUST TIPICAL FOR 4X4 PICKUP !

With that much oil consumption, you may have a broken/excessively worn ring/rings, possibly in only one or two cylinders. When changing spark plugs, check for heavy fouling/glazing. If only in 1 or 2 cyl., you could change only those plugs, maybe every other oil change. If it's not fouling plugs, could be valve guides.

With that much oil consumption, you may have a broken/excessively worn ring/rings, possibly in only one or two cylinders. When changing spark plugs, check for heavy fouling/glazing. If only in 1 or 2 cyl., you could change only those plugs, maybe every other oil change. If it's not fouling plugs, could be valve guides.
The plugs are never fouled. Im sure its in the top 1/2 of the engine. I could do a compression test and leak down test, just not that motivated yet.

I have a thing for crunching numbers every now and then.

2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 with 275,000 miles has an average gas mileage of 13 mpg over its life (according to the display).

That means that its cost about $41,000 in gas so far and will cost about $5,000 more to get to 300,000 miles.

Its my wife's vehicle and the Durango needs to die. Its taking bullets from my guns.
I have the same motor in my 98 pickup. There is a replacement intake manifold & camshaft combination that will increase gas mileage and performance. The downside is $1600 for parts. Google Hughes Edelbrock manifold and you'll want their towing camshaft.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=24773

Back
Top Bottom