• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hostage rescue shot with a 12ga

Full choke
A full choke doesn’t really help as much as one would think. I have a full choke on my S&W 3000 and while it works great with smaller shot, the pattern still tends to open up depending on the style and brand of buckshot used.

If I had the spare money laying around I’d send off some barrels to Vang Comp to have them counter bored and experiment with the various chokes just to see for myself and compile my own data.

head explodes.gif

That wasn’t a question on my part, it was a definitive statement. The ammo used in this shooting was Hornady TAP 00 buck.

Methinks some folks under-estimate the lethality and penetration of buckshot.

When the incident happened, I was told Federal FliteControl for the ammo. HAve you confirmed the Hornady TAP?

A full choke doesn’t really help as much as one would think. I have a full choke on my S&W 3000 and while it works great with smaller shot, the pattern still tends to open up depending on the style and brand of buckshot used.

If I had the spare money laying around I’d send off some barrels to Vang Comp to have them counter bored and experiment with the various chokes just to see for myself and compile my own data.

FEderal FliteControl and Hornady TAP are designed around a cylinder bore barrel. Anything tighter than IC, and you will see diminishing results.

I have an 870 barrel that is threaded for tubes. I run MOD with conventional buck and IC for FFC.

That wasn’t a question on my part, it was a definitive statement. The ammo used in this shooting was Hornady TAP 00 buck.

Methinks some folks under-estimate the lethality and penetration of buckshot.
Well I aint one that ever doubted it's power. I just thought that one stray flyer could be bad news for the hostage. But obviously they did the math and all the homework on the Hornady rounds you mentioned. Not to mention what type of barrel/choke involved.

Well I aint one that ever doubted it's power. I just thought that one stray flyer could be bad news for the hostage. But obviously they did the math and all the homework on the Hornady rounds you mentioned. Not to mention what type of barrel/choke involved.
With the Hornady Tap buckshot at 7 yards the spread is under an inch and a half, at 25 yards your only looking at a 4.5” spread. They do that by only putting in 8 pellets vs the standard 9. It’s some pretty good stuff and it’s actually designed to run on shotguns with a full bore and no choke. It lays the smack down for sure.

Back
Top Bottom