• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hostage rescue shot with a 12ga

FEderal FliteControl and Hornady TAP are designed around a cylinder bore barrel. Anything tighter than IC, and you will see diminishing results.

I have an 870 barrel that is threaded for tubes. I run MOD with conventional buck and IC for FFC.

I learned in one of your classes that the efficacy of a FC barrel is greatly diminished when used with Elite Control. :)

A full choke doesn’t really help as much as one would think. I have a full choke on my S&W 3000 and while it works great with smaller shot, the pattern still tends to open up depending on the style and brand of buckshot used.

If I had the spare money laying around I’d send off some barrels to Vang Comp to have them counter bored and experiment with the various chokes just to see for myself and compile my own data.

Yessir. My primary scatterguns have all been to Vang Comp for backboring and forcing done work. It makes quite a difference.

With larger shot, too much constriction can cause deformation of the shot. Deformed shot end up as flyers and open up your pattern.

Face and nutsack shots notwithstanding.
Yeah, that sounds really good until a bit of distance is added. The longest shot in my house is 18 yards. Birdshot is going to be a piss-poor deterrent at that range...or 15 yards...or 10 yards for that matter. Birdshot might be somewhat effective at boxing ring distances, if you can convince the bad guys to stay close enough...

Back
Top Bottom