• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot and rainy, mid-day, time to call ‘Yotes right?

Howard Shadix

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
Got home early this morning and thought I slip out and see if I could call up a song dog. The birds and squirrels were getting really active. Rain coming in, hot as heck and animals rushing about. Just gotta ensure the sweat! Got dressed for hunting in an open field, you know, 30 year old desert pants, Sketchers city camo hoodie, you know, suped-up redneck. Headed out and got set up and it starts pouring, oh well, back into the air conditioning. About 1:30 I looked out and it was not as dark, birds everywhere and some turkeys in the yard. Two hens and a gobbler with about 8” beard. I know it has to be the right time now, 86 degrees and 97% humidity, everybody’s favorite coyote hunting weather. So I’m in and take off, dressed back up in my red-neck tuxedo and get nestled down in some fennel for a backstop, pulled my wool face mask on, boonie cap cause they see your eyes and set up my firing lanes. Started with the ole standby cottontail distress and worked up both a fever pitch and a pouring sweat, gotta love the pain don’t ya? I quit for a bit and crows were all over checking me out. Several rounds and the sun starts peaking out and I’m POURING sweat. Change to a jackrabbit distress for a few series. Across a draw I hear a quiet challenge back and after a bit can see a ‘yote but it’s looking across the field. I can’t see what he’s watching but he seems pissed. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush so I focus on the one I see, pull back the cottontail and squeal a little. That’s all I needed but he’s on me, he knows where that rabbits at but doesn’t see me, working his way across to my left, he hurries. I believe he’s working with or trying to beat out another dog I can’t see. He comes through the fennel and at almost 200 yards faces me straight on. Bad move, 155g tipped match king ended his run. Strong, healthy male. Never saw the other one but almost sure there we was one. In the end, I’ve never sweated more for a hunt! It was glorious in its discomfort. Gotta love the pain!

Here’s the proof!

Attachments

• 5C2C56C1-449A-4252-BFAF-B3AA3A3D996A.jpeg
    5C2C56C1-449A-4252-BFAF-B3AA3A3D996A.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 33
I’ll tell ya, it’s dang near addictive, makes you think about night vision scopes and stuff. Been wanting an electronic call but it seems like one more thing to carry. I like the idea of them focusing on a caller, maybe they won’t see you as easy that way.

Back
Top Bottom