• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot and rainy, mid-day, time to call ‘Yotes right?

Got home early this morning and thought I slip out and see if I could call up a song dog. The birds and squirrels were getting really active. Rain coming in, hot as heck and animals rushing about. Just gotta ensure the sweat! Got dressed for hunting in an open field, you know, 30 year old desert pants, Sketchers city camo hoodie, you know, suped-up redneck. Headed out and got set up and it starts pouring, oh well, back into the air conditioning. About 1:30 I looked out and it was not as dark, birds everywhere and some turkeys in the yard. Two hens and a gobbler with about 8” beard. I know it has to be the right time now, 86 degrees and 97% humidity, everybody’s favorite coyote hunting weather. So I’m in and take off, dressed back up in my red-neck tuxedo and get nestled down in some fennel for a backstop, pulled my wool face mask on, boonie cap cause they see your eyes and set up my firing lanes. Started with the ole standby cottontail distress and worked up both a fever pitch and a pouring sweat, gotta love the pain don’t ya? I quit for a bit and crows were all over checking me out. Several rounds and the sun starts peaking out and I’m POURING sweat. Change to a jackrabbit distress for a few series. Across a draw I hear a quiet challenge back and after a bit can see a ‘yote but it’s looking across the field. I can’t see what he’s watching but he seems pissed. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush so I focus on the one I see, pull back the cottontail and squeal a little. That’s all I needed but he’s on me, he knows where that rabbits at but doesn’t see me, working his way across to my left, he hurries. I believe he’s working with or trying to beat out another dog I can’t see. He comes through the fennel and at almost 200 yards faces me straight on. Bad move, 155g tipped match king ended his run. Strong, healthy male. Never saw the other one but almost sure there we was one. In the end, I’ve never sweated more for a hunt! It was glorious in its discomfort. Gotta love the pain!
As they say, "Embrace the Suck".

I don’t have much experience but it seems to me they rarely stay in one place for more than a few seconds when they’re looking for the call, not much more when they’re just looking around
They're on the move to try and get the wind in their favor. They are smart. That's why a good hide, camo, and scent blocker are essential. The best part is when you pop the first one and you get his buddy to come back with a distress call then pop him too. BOOM!

Been close on a second several times but only did it once. It’s was really a late season deer hunt and saw a pair barreling through the woods. Happened to have a call I got for Christmas and gave it a toot. 30 min later one came straight in to me, got him at 25yds, 30min later the second came in same path and got her within feet of him. Biggest coyotes I’d ever seen before or since, both in the 50 pound range, male slightly bigger.

Back
Top Bottom