• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot Potato - Running a hot/overheating weapon.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
Maybe I need to update my gear. I'm running a .223 wylde 14.5 (16 with break) AR pistol. This has a quad rail carbine length upper. It is metal. My weapon was heating up so quickly after two mags. It got to a point where I was gripping the mag well. Is this a handguard problem? Does this at all point to any barrel problems? I love this little pistol and it functions beautifully. If I switched to the plastic corn cob, do those heat up as quick?

I am wondering how I would do in the event of actual prolonged use of the weapon. This sucker gave me some burns. In a perfect world I would be able to put a VG on it, but ATF is ATF. Plan on doing it once the brake is pinned.

Thanks ODT

if you have an adjustable gas block the excess gas will escape out of the port making the area around the block heat up quicker.. if a non-adjustable block then is it a super lightweight barrel? if so quicker heat up and cool down. if it's a heavy-weight barrel look for signs of a gas leak around the gas block..

if you have an adjustable gas block the excess gas will escape out of the port making the area around the block heat up quicker.. if a non-adjustable block then is it a super lightweight barrel? if so quicker heat up and cool down. if it's a heavy-weight barrel look for signs of a gas leak around the gas block..
Going to ditch the handguards this evening and take a peek.
The better question, why are you running a 14.5in pistol?
I think there may be some confusion here. The barrel is 16 total. It is 14.5 without the muzzle brake. It is only a pistol due to my laziness in getting the thing pinned.

Back
Top Bottom