• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot Potato - Running a hot/overheating weapon.

if you have an adjustable gas block the excess gas will escape out of the port making the area around the block heat up quicker.. if a non-adjustable block then is it a super lightweight barrel? if so quicker heat up and cool down. if it's a heavy-weight barrel look for signs of a gas leak around the gas block..
This is a very detailed answer and gives me somewhere to start. I really appreciate it.

This is a very detailed answer and gives me somewhere to start. I really appreciate it.
NP if it is a all PSA build I doubt it will have an adjustable gas block. but its possible. if there were no cycling issues then if you do have a gas block leak it prob not much but worth a check. if your ar mag dumping 60 round in 60 seconds it is going to get hot so I would suggest gloves if you don't find any of the other problems. there are heat shelds for hand guards but anything shot rapidly enough will eventually get hot. My guess is light weigh barrel just doing what it does.

NP if it is a all PSA build I doubt it will have an adjustable gas block. but its possible. if there were no cycling issues then if you do have a gas block leak it prob not much but worth a check. if your ar mag dumping 60 round in 60 seconds it is going to get hot so I would suggest gloves if you don't find any of the other problems. there are heat shelds for hand guards but anything shot rapidly enough will eventually get hot. My guess is light weigh barrel just doing what it does.
It all appears to be a piece by piece build. Very funny of you to assume I can afford to do mag dumps. This was just controlled, technical shooting. Nothing ferocious or fancy. Do you happen to know which styles of foreend are more heat resistant?

It all appears to be a piece by piece build. Very funny of you to assume I can afford to do mag dumps. This was just controlled, technical shooting. Nothing ferocious or fancy. Do you happen to know which styles of foreend are more heat resistant?
LOL well we know about assumptions don't we... there is not really any way around heat build-up and metal conduction. Anything shot enough will get hot but, you can try a handguard with a large inner diameter to keep your hand away from the barrel as much as possible. the only one i have experience with is the Midwest Industries SP series handguard which fits over my suppressor. You could try one of those. I have a 10 inch one i will be selling when i get off deployment as i upgraded to a 12 inch one because i needed just a little more rail for my long arms to shoot comfortably. If you would want it and don't have your issue figured by then just let me know but, I'm not due home till mid to lat OCT

Back
Top Bottom