• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House hit by lightning

Wow
Glad no one was injured and the hoise didn’t catch on fire.

That being said ,
We need pics ‘

IMG_20210908_073258648.png
IMG_20210908_074002601.png
IMG_20210908_074305174.png
IMG_20210908_074353085.png

For those suggesting a whole house surge: Those work when the source of surge power is the main line. When it's a branch circuit, I don't think the whole house surge protectors do any good. In this case, the strike hit the circuit(s) in the garage, which share ground and neutral with all of the other circuits in the house. Somewhere, the power jumped to the ethernet cables, which fried a lot of electronic gear.
You have any AC wi-fi extenders?

Yep. Two. Ethernet ports on both now non-working, although they both still transmit/receive.

EDIT: These are regular routers set up as WAPs.
I know I've had problems in the past with my wifi and ethernet not working.....I've been lucky because I just shut everything off for 10 minutes and let it all come up naturally, moden, router, wifi and devices and then see what happens..... Maybe those two ports just got their bells rang real good and need to reacquaint themselves with everything properly after a little time out. :0)...... it can't hurt to try...

In the end it's all just ..........
:0)

PSA on a similar subject: Best friend woke up last weekend at 1:00 a.m. to a house filled with smoke. They set the wall oven to self-clean before bed, and the damn thing never turned itself off. The firefighters hit it with a sensor and it was 1,200 degrees. Had to chop it out of the wall to make sure there was no fire anywhere.

PSA on a similar subject: Best friend woke up last weekend at 1:00 a.m. to a house filled with smoke. They set the wall oven to self-clean before bed, and the damn thing never turned itself off. The firefighters hit it with a sensor and it was 1,200 degrees. Had to chop it out of the wall to make sure there was no fire anywhere.
Self clean functions on ovens are usually around 500 degrees F or higher if they are capable of that. You should never start a cycle like that before you go to sleep. I once had a dishwasher go haywire and start to melt down. The wife yelled at me saying she couldn't turn it off. I had to scramble downstairs and shut off the breaker. The whole control panel was fried.... I shudder to think about setting it to wash at night and go to sleep...

Back
Top Bottom