• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Houston to end no knock police search warrants

After Houston narcotics officer lied to obtain a no knock warrant, they murdered a couple and their dog, and 5 police officers were shot in the process, the chief is now saying he will end the practice.

Hopefully others will follow before more bloodshed over the ridiculous fear that a little dope might be flushed down the toilet if they knock first.

https://abc13.com/hpd-to-end-no-knock-warrants-after-deadly-raid-police-chief/5144649/
not enough IMO

they should try those cops for murder

I can't think of a single case where a warrant has to be served like this. It's lazy police work and a chance to use some of the cool toys they get from the gov't.

The odds are pretty good that these folks will have to come out of their house at some point. You can take them down then without shooting up a house full of innocent bystanders.
but but but

the preservation of evidence!! lol

Police regularly abuse the no-knock warrant power the courts granted them.
I don't mind taking it away.
But, it probably will lead to more shootings, both of suspects AND officers.
More stand-offs.

I'm OK with that if, and only if, stand-offs are ended quickly and by SWAT teams using extreme violence to deal with the armed criminals who exploit the "knock and announce" policy cops will be following in the future.

If I remember correctly from school, knock and announce can literally be all of one second, "the entry should be made before the reasonable amount of time it would take to destroy evidence" Meaning if the cops think it takes say 4-5 seconds to destroy evidence after the knock and announce then they can bust that door in... say 1-2 seconds after the police say "search warrant!"

No Knock warrants should be only used in high risk warrants I believe, where the officers involved are at a high risk of deadly engagement. And it should go without saying the location where the warrant is being served should be confirmed 5 times and over a course of time. It shouldn't be a spur of the moment, because thats how accidents happen. "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it"

For the historically challenged, this is pretty much the same scenario that resulted in the death of 92 year old Kathryn Johnston Atlanta in 2006.

No one in the whole judicial system or police chain of command thought to question the premise of why a "no knock" warrant was necessary to take down a 92 year old alleged "crack dealer".

It turned out that the police lied about the confidential informant, in that there wasn't one, the whole story was made up.

Several of the officers went to prison.

Times change I guess. Meth and crack will do that to people. I've worked in several counties "back in the day" when warrants were served by the sheriff telling the suspects daddy that he needed to come down to the SO and turn himself in.

Course that was back before the heyday of "civil forfeiture" when ever LEO agency had thousands of dollars to spend on the latest doo dads.

Course that was back before the heyday of "civil forfeiture" when ever LEO agency had thousands of dollars to spend on the latest doo dads.

And before civil forfeiture could be used to seize daddy's home because junior was slinging pot out the back door.

Can't forget the new toys that had to be used by a local sheriff's office during a raid on a sleeping family over some petty drug sales, now a little boy is deaf as the flash bang landed in or near his crib. It's my understanding the sheriff's office had just recently acquired them and of course had to use them on this dangerous child. The family sued and I hope won from not only the sheriff, but the individual officer/officers that used it.

Can't forget the new toys that had to be used by a local sheriff's office during a raid on a sleeping family over some petty drug sales, now a little boy is deaf as the flash bang landed in or near his crib. It's my understanding the sheriff's office had just recently acquired them and of course had to use them on this dangerous child. The family sued and I hope won from not only the sheriff, but the individual officer/officers that used it.

That family won $3.6 million in settlements and jury awards. Not enough, in my opinion, for the harm caused to an infant who will live with the severe consequences of that raid for the rest of his life.

The deputy who made some, uh, stretched statements to get the warrant, was acquitted by a jury in a federal civil rights trial.

Back
Top Bottom