• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How accurate is your 22 rifle??

A good bolt or single-shot .22 rifle with a scope at 6X or above, match ammo, and fired from a sandbagged rest can sometimes do MOA performance at 100 yards, but that's pretty far for that little cartridge. Getting 1/2" at 50 is easier than 1" at 100.
I've never owned a rifle that would do it.
My field-grade .22's generally shoot 2" to 4" at 100 yards, and that's under the best conditions other than a double-sandbagged rest (I don't use those where I shoot). Even my 10/22 with a 22" Green Mountain barrel (tighter than standard chamber), a heavy duty Fajen stock, and a 2-lb. trigger job will not do better than 2" most of the time, that far out.

P.S. I have SHOT other people's guns that would do 1" or better at 100 yards.
My cousin has a Ruger 77/22 topped with a 6X-24X scope that works well with Winchester Super X high velocity ammo.
We regularly get dime-sized groups at 100 yards with that.

Years ago my dad's friend had a Winchester 52 that we took shooting several times. We only shot it at 25 and 50 yards, but it was sub-MOA easily.

My rifles will shoot as well as I do.

With cci standard rounds I'm getting dime sized groups at 100 with my fvsr. My brother with his CZ can half that.

As stated above a quality bolt gun with a decent optic will allow a standard shooter pretty good results. Not all 22 ammo is the same, but there's really only a few really bad loads. The middle ground is much bigger and better than you think.

I saw a guy take my savage and scope and crank it up and hit a 4 inch steel plate at 252 yards within 5 rounds and he continued to ring the steel for the next 50 rounds. When we got to the plate he had a couple flyers but the rest were all inside of 2 inches. That's the shooter and not the gun.

My tweaked 10/22 will routinely shoot 1.1 MOA at 100 yards, with SK ammo. That's Green Mtn barrel, Volquartsen trigger, free-floated Hogue stock, aftermarket bolt, and obviously the match ammo. But by golly it'll do it.

It actually preferred the Wolf Match before I had the bolt changed... now-- SK or Lapua.

With my FV-SR and CCI standard, I can completely cover a 5 shot group @ 50 yards with a dime. Haven't shot paper past 50 with it yet but I was able to make a perfectly centered head shot on a rabbit at 103 yards. Accurate enough for me.

My dad picked up an old Marlin model 60 for $45 and I can hit a quarter at sixty yards 30% of the time. When he accused me of just being lucky, we clamped it into a homemade rest mounted to his 4 wheeler and we were both surprised. Very consistent with cheap ammo. At first he thought it was a junk rifle because it was hitting all over the place. Well, the humidity stays high in my dads house and 22 ammo can and does go bad. His ammo that he'd been using, would sometimes make an expected loud crack, and the next round would just be a loud pop. When we used my ammo, the results were completely different.

Back
Top Bottom