• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How did anyone manage to hunt before camo guns? Small rant.

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
More than once I have read an ad here became interested clicked on it and found the gun covered in some kind of camo paint either pro or DIY. I know people hunted successfully with out it.So it must just be the fashion. I really miss guns that are beautiful things to look at. Steel and wood put together by gunsmiths who were craftsmen not just mechanics. You see ads for firearms finishing and blueing is not a listed option. Checkering is gone too. Spray on finish, color fill and stippling.
I did see the carving ad posted good for him.
Polymer guns and camo covered rifle are tools I guess (I carry a LCR), but there is no reason to eschew traditional aesthetics. I guess the times they are a changing.

Rant over.

Well I'll put it like this. My idea of a classic deer rifle is a gorgeous wood stock and a silky blued barrel, that's what I saw my grandparents in NOR hunt with, and my family here hunt with. That's what I hunt with as well. I love the classic craftsmanship and build quality of a Model 70, Rem 700, etc... You may have seen my Savage .17 post shortly ago which could have helped fuel your rant. I used to say the same thing about the camo guns...I thought they were ughh, until I walked into my LGS a few weeks ago and saw the camo Savage in person...I couldn't help it I just liked it...so I bought it. I do get nervous about taking an $850 Model 70 into the woods and getting scratched up and scuffed...so I don't. If I'm hunting a field or don't have much thick brush around- I take it. Otherwise I use a synthetic model. Cheaper and not worried about the stock as much.

when i was a kid, no one even had camo clothes. still killed game. lol.

probably every big buck I ever killed I was wearin blue jeans :)

an when I was young most of the older fellas hunted in brown pants and an OD field jacket or this ...
i56.tinypic.com_v3pn2b.jpg

Some guns just need painting,the finish on em is so bad Rustoleum is the solution.I have to use the guns I have and am not afforded the luxury of pretty guns.I do have nice Win model 70's and they are still in good shape after 26 years on one of them.I have woodland camo and old wool jackets and it works.Still got my ghillie suit too.

Back
Top Bottom