• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I get into the long range precision game?

Here's a hint.

When you zero your rifle at 100 yards and make your way to the 600 yd lane, you can aim at the lane marker numbers - about midway between the top and bottom of the number of the lane marker - you will be in the black at 600 yds...

Don't ask me how I know...'cause with my junk it's all about Kentucky windage and not dope on my scope!

This works for 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.62x54R ammo...prolly .308, too but I only know about the first two...

Oh, and I giggled like a school girl the first time I put one on the screen at 600.

www.westalabamawatchman.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_08_CMP_Talladega_005.jpg

Give that Man a bolt gun and watch the groups hug up on each other[/
You don't say what you want to do at longer ranges. I'd start with a basic Appleseed for three position shooting and it will teach/reinforce basic principles of making the shot.
Next, try the KD Clinic (Known Distance). If you read up a little before hand, chrono your loads and come prepared to learn it's a great weekend (especially at the CMP park). Stay overnight in Oxford about 20 minutes away. You'll be proficient in hitting a 4 MOA target at all distances and in making sight adjustments to 600 yards. There is even a range estimation and target identification segment that's a real challenge.
Is the three position shooting class a 2 day class like the KD? And can I take both all at once or do I need to take the three position shooting class one weekend and then schedule the KD for another weekend?

Here's a hint.

When you zero your rifle at 100 yards and make your way to the 600 yd lane, you can aim at the lane marker numbers - about midway between the top and bottom of the number of the lane marker - you will be in the black at 600 yds...

Don't ask me how I know...'cause with my junk it's all about Kentucky windage and not dope on my scope!

This works for 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.62x54R ammo...prolly .308, too but I only know about the first two...

Oh, and I giggled like a school girl the first time I put one on the screen at 600.

www.westalabamawatchman.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_08_CMP_Talladega_005.jpg
Looks like you've got the magic touch with the Kentucky windage!

I don't have the patience to read the thread (I know its only 3 pages but I'm lazy lol)

my two cents worth (overpriced if you'd ask me) is you should look into reloading as well if you want to reach out and touch stuff. A firearm can only be as good as the ammo you put through it, and being able to match the ammo to your particular firearm can go a long way. I agree that classes will help, but so can going to a couple good shooting matches as well. The veterans when they know and see you doing something will give you a tip on the shoulder when its someone elses turn to shoot and give you a couple pointers they have learned through experiance. Plus its relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun.

I learned a TON going to my first couple steel matches and IDPA's. Even before I started shooting them just as a spectator to get an idea and ask a few questions how to be properly prepared for my first match

Are you offering any other courses after June? I'm deployed until June but am fortunate enough to have wifi to keep me connected to people back home. And I have a budget for around $1500 for everything but can wiggle it up to as much as $2000.

Yep, I'll be running that course 3-4 times during the year.

Pick up a Ruger Precision Rifle and top it with a Vortex Viper PST. That's under $2k.

I don't have the patience to read the thread (I know its only 3 pages but I'm lazy lol)

my two cents worth (overpriced if you'd ask me) is you should look into reloading as well if you want to reach out and touch stuff. A firearm can only be as good as the ammo you put through it, and being able to match the ammo to your particular firearm can go a long way. I agree that classes will help, but so can going to a couple good shooting matches as well. The veterans when they know and see you doing something will give you a tip on the shoulder when its someone elses turn to shoot and give you a couple pointers they have learned through experiance. Plus its relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun.

I learned a TON going to my first couple steel matches and IDPA's. Even before I started shooting them just as a spectator to get an idea and ask a few questions how to be properly prepared for my first match
Think that's worth more than 2 cents. I've always wanted to get into reloading but have never really known where to start.

Yep, I'll be running that course 3-4 times during the year.

Pick up a Ruger Precision Rifle and top it with a Vortex Viper PST. That's under $2k.
Thank you for your time! When I get back stateside I'll be sure to get in touch with you for more info on the classes

In my 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course, we run to 1,000yds by the end of Day 2.

Topics covered will include (but aren't limited to):
Selection, care and maintenance of the entire system (rifle, scope, rings, mounts, ammunition, bipod, cases, etc.). This includes a comprehensive disassembly and other Armorer's tips.
Marksmanship fundamentals
Use of a mil-based or other ranging reticle for ranging unknown distance targets
Use of optics (including adjustments and all other functions)
Use of data book
Zeroing
CCB/CHB/HFB

We zero at 100yds and run every 50 yards to approximately 600 yards. After that, every 100yds to 1,000yds.

MattKH, what's the longest distance 5-shot group you've ever shot on paper?
Have you tried that from 500 yards?
What rifle(s) do you have now that might be suitable for long range?
Finally, do you expect to do almost all of your shooting at 600 yards or less, or do you want a rifle and scope and Ammo combination that's good to 1000 or even 1200 yards ?

I suspect that you'd be best served with a brand-new rifle made for long range precision shooting. You'll be more satisfied with it and therefore you'll look forward to practicing more and studying and learning the art of rifle marksmanship more. It's more satisfying when you've got the right equipment, rather than pressing a deer rifle into service for that role.

And yes you will almost certainly want to take up handloading if you're going to be serious about long-range rifle shooting. Both for quality and for the economy of it.
Although if you don't mind spending a buck to a dollar and a half per shot, premium factory ammo is quite accurate and will probably be accurate enough to suit you for the next few years as you grow with your new skills. I never could build 308 rifle ammo any more accurate than federal gold medal GM 308 when I was a handloader.

Back
Top Bottom