• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I get into the long range precision game?

MattKH, what's the longest distance 5-shot group you've ever shot on paper?
Have you tried that from 500 yards?
What rifle(s) do you have now that might be suitable for long range?
Finally, do you expect to do almost all of your shooting at 600 yards or less, or do you want a rifle and scope and Ammo combination that's good to 1000 or even 1200 yards ?

I suspect that you'd be best served with a brand-new rifle made for long range precision shooting. You'll be more satisfied with it and therefore you'll look forward to practicing more and studying and learning the art of rifle marksmanship more. It's more satisfying when you've got the right equipment, rather than pressing a deer rifle into service for that role.

And yes you will almost certainly want to take up handloading if you're going to be serious about long-range rifle shooting. Both for quality and for the economy of it.
Although if you don't mind spending a buck to a dollar and a half per shot, premium factory ammo is quite accurate and will probably be accurate enough to suit you for the next few years as you grow with your new skills. I never could build 308 rifle ammo any more accurate than federal gold medal GM 308 when I was a handloader.
I'm definitely looking to one day push to 1000+ as I build skills. As far as a five shot group I've only ever done that sighting in with various rifles at 100 yards and just plinked steel at various ranges just listening for hits. I currently don't have a build for long range but I plan on investing into it when I get back. I'm looking into the entry level precision rifles such as the savage stealth and ruger precision. Is hand loading something that I can easily self teach? Like the whole long range shooting thing I've had an interest in it but never quite knew where to start.

like everybody else above said, spend some money on training. look for somebody selling a used 5R or LTR and a Bushnell DMR or Vortex PST and that should fit your budget very easy.

CM recommended a Ruger Precision Rifle.
Here's an article about it, by a Marine ex-sniper.
https://globalriskinfo.com/2016/01/02/a-marine-snipers-review-of-the-ruger-precision-rifle-rpr/

He recommends the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308 round for long range shooting.
If you're serious about it, and you really want the best round for the 1000 yard game, maybe you should get the 6.5 Creed. BUT, know that until you reach that point in your skills, and until you actually do shoot that far, you won't be gaining anything.
But, it's probably better to get the rifle in the truly best long-range round it is offered in now, rather than buy it in a less-than-ideal caliber. Although a few years from now, you could sell your .308 rifle to fund a new gun in a better ultra-long range caliber.

ANOTHER OPTION:

Get this RPR in .308 and do everything you can do with it up to 1000 yards.
If you still lust for longer-range shooting at that point, just get out your checkbook and figure on buying a new rifle in a much different caliber.
Like some species of .338 magnum. Probably with a newer and better scope, too.
Something that isn't just "good enough" for extreme ranges, but is well-suited for such long range work.

That plan might be better than trying to make an ordinary-caliber gun your one and only "do everything" rifle, to be shot at all distances from 100 yards to 1500 yards. Own two guns: One for 100 to 900 yards, and the other for 1000 and beyond.

Think that's worth more than 2 cents. I've always wanted to get into reloading but have never really known where to start.
Valdosta is a bit of a haul from Rome, but you are more than welcome to check out my station and if you bring some dies, powder, cartridges, bullets, ect I'd be more than happy to help you load some until you are comfortable getting a setup of your ow. I'm sure someone closer to you who loads would extend the same offer though if you post up in the reloading section that you are looking to get started.

A good reloading manual is the right first step. I have the Lee book. I will find you a link in a moment. Tells you everything you need to know from the basics to the science and nitty gritty of it all. but if you're anything like me I learn much easier and faster through assistance of someone else

Get into the shooting portion of it first. Once you've got a firm grasp of it, then venture into reloading. Factory match rifle ammo will shoot better than the vast majority of the folks using it. I've been repeatable on steel at 1450yds with factory Black Hills Match ammo, and 2500yds with a .338 Lapua and Lapua ammo.

CM recommended a Ruger Precision Rifle.
Here's an article about it, by a Marine ex-sniper.
https://globalriskinfo.com/2016/01/02/a-marine-snipers-review-of-the-ruger-precision-rifle-rpr/

He recommends the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308 round for long range shooting.
If you're serious about it, and you really want the best round for the 1000 yard game, maybe you should get the 6.5 Creed. BUT, know that until you reach that point in your skills, and until you actually do shoot that far, you won't be gaining anything.
But, it's probably better to get the rifle in the truly best long-range round it is offered in now, rather than buy it in a less-than-ideal caliber. Although a few years from now, you could sell your .308 rifle to fund a new gun in a better ultra-long range caliber.

ANOTHER OPTION:

Get this RPR in .308 and do everything you can do with it up to 1000 yards.
If you still lust for longer-range shooting at that point, just get out your checkbook and figure on buying a new rifle in a much different caliber.
Like some species of .338 magnum. Probably with a newer and better scope, too.
Something that isn't just "good enough" for extreme ranges, but is well-suited for such long range work.

That plan might be better than trying to make an ordinary-caliber gun your one and only "do everything" rifle, to be shot at all distances from 100 yards to 1500 yards. Own two guns: One for 100 to 900 yards, and the other for 1000 and beyond.
A gentleman at my local range was nice enough to let me shoot his rpr in 6.5 and man is that thing sweet! He already had everything dialed in and I had no problem popping little oranges at 500 yards. It was a blast to shoot and I was very impressed! I wouldn't mind boosting my budget by a little more to get a set up that would last as long as I still have enough left over to get some training. I would love to hone my skills to 1000+ but my local range only goes to 500 which will do fine I'm sure starting off.

Valdosta is a bit of a haul from Rome, but you are more than welcome to check out my station and if you bring some dies, powder, cartridges, bullets, ect I'd be more than happy to help you load some until you are comfortable getting a setup of your ow. I'm sure someone closer to you who loads would extend the same offer though if you post up in the reloading section that you are looking to get started.

A good reloading manual is the right first step. I have the Lee book. I will find you a link in a moment. Tells you everything you need to know from the basics to the science and nitty gritty of it all. but if you're anything like me I learn much easier and faster through assistance of someone else
It is a long haul but it is very kind of you to offer! I would love to check out the manual. It might be a bit before I actually get into reloading but if I stick in the long range realm I'm sure it'll be bound to happen at some point!

Remember you only get out of the sport what you put into, before starting if you are not interested in reading the whole picture is cracked and will crash very quickly. Get several reloading manuals, HORNADY, NOSLER,BARNES,SIERRA,read, then re-read, and read again. Read the book of reloading basics. If you have never reloaded or know anyone that has, remember you will we dealing with explosives...

Going to attend classes for long range shooting, read the information suggested or inquire what some have read to prepare for the class, you will get more out of it, and your instructor with give you more as they will be able to see if you applied yourself or just sent your money.

HALF HEARTED PARTICIPATION, WILL NOT RESULT IN HALF SUCCESS, IT WILL RESULT IN NO SUCCESS AT ALL...

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND MOST OF DON'T WASTE YOUR INSTRUCTORS TIME, PREPARATION, AND OTHERS IN THE CLASS TIME EITHER...

just a simple suggestion, have attended a few similar classes and there is always someone who just doesn't care and wastes everyone else's time too.

just a simple suggestion ti strongly consider before making a half-hearted decision, half-hearted commitment...

Remember you only get out of the sport what you put into, before starting if you are not interested in reading the whole picture is cracked and will crash very quickly. Get several reloading manuals, HORNADY, NOSLER,BARNES,SIERRA,read, then re-read, and read again. Read the book of reloading basics. If you have never reloaded or know anyone that has, remember you will we dealing with explosives...

Going to attend classes for long range shooting, read the information suggested or inquire what some have read to prepare for the class, you will get more out of it, and your instructor with give you more as they will be able to see if you applied yourself or just sent your money.

HALF HEARTED PARTICIPATION, WILL NOT RESULT IN HALF SUCCESS, IT WILL RESULT IN NO SUCCESS AT ALL...

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND MOST OF DON'T WASTE YOUR INSTRUCTORS TIME, PREPARATION, AND OTHERS IN THE CLASS TIME EITHER...

just a simple suggestion, have attended a few similar classes and there is always someone who just doesn't care and wastes everyone else's time too.

just a simple suggestion ti strongly consider before making a half-hearted decision, half-hearted commitment...
Great advice thank you! The only concern I have about long range precision shooting is the availability of ranges near me. I know that I am absolutely going to love it but I'm just hoping I won't have to drive 5 hours from Valdosta to find a range that's practical once I got more into it. I don't mind driving but I know it's sometimes hard to devote weekends to shooting. Anyone know of 1000 yard ranges in South Georgia?

There is a 2500 yard range in Blakely GA, about 123 miles from Valdosta. I host a shoot there a minimum of 2 times a year, in addition to teaching classes there. The entire facility is over 3,000 acres with numerous ranges of several different types.

There is Core Shooting Solutions in Baker FL. Very nice facility with numerous ranges, including a 1,000yd range. I've been invited to come down and run some classes there, just haven't done it yet.

Back
Top Bottom