• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I repair this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was a pinhole leak in copper, there’s a good chance you’ll have more. Look for teal colored spots on the outside of the copper. Anywhere you see those, there’s corrosion inside the pipe working towards another pinhole. We did a whole house repipe a few years ago after having multiple pinholes & discovering more corrosion in the works.
This is what to look out for since you’ve already had a pinhole.

D871E487-D1DB-4790-9352-C7435CB16656.jpeg

You probably need a professional.

All of the wet drywall needs to be removed, insulation replaced, and wood dried out. If there's a moisture/ vapor barrier, chances are there's water under the floor and on top of the barrier. No bueno. That definitely needs to be checked. That'll be easier to do with a wood floor, than concrete. You'll need a wet/dry vacuum or water pump to remove standing water.

Judging by the pictures, the drywall in the upper corner is wet too. You'll need to remove that and make sure the water didn't get in the insulation. Mold is no joke.

If you want to save some $$, I'd suggest tearing out the drywall and insulation. Get a dehumidifier and let it run as you work. If it's damp, it goes. Otherwise you'll have black mold growing behind the new drywall and won't know it until it's too late. Mold spreads fast, so you'll need to be sure there's zero moisture left behind. My grandmother's house had a leak, they had it patched; black mold spread through the entire house in a few weeks. Insurance called it a loss and the house had to be demolished.

Get a heater and dry the area out. The wood should be bone dry. Once you think the area is dry, let the heater run about another 8 hrs to be sure. Then let the dehumidifier run for about 6 hours. Call a professional, let them check it over and have them quote you to repair the rest. You can buy and put up your own insulation to further save cost (it's very easy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom