• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I repair this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say, at least he cut a square. I by and large try to cut stud to stud for easy re attachment, but since it was water damaged and not going back on I get it.

You can get small pieces of sheetrock at home Depot. Should probably fit this. The skill is in not making it look like ****.

As was said before, I'd do a hot patch. Get some wood 2x4 and put them in there and screw to the sheetrock that's already there. Then put the new cut of sheetrock in the hole and screw it in. Since it's in a closet I wouldn't worry too much about it. The hardest part and most important part if you want it to look good is to make sure the cut lines are straight and square (on both the existing and piece going in). Then mud/tape/sand etc.

I've gotten a lot better at sheet rock but still hate doing it and am not great at it. Best work I've ever done is in my garage where it doesn't really matter lol.

Every imperfection REALLY shows through when you go to paint. If you want to really cheap out and since this is in the closet you could use free paint sticks instead of 2x4's(but a lot of them) since this is in the closet but the patch looks bigger than what I'd use those for.

Good luck. I ****ing hate sheetrock.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ok, so I think I’m going to cut out more of the drywall just to check the condition of the insulation. This happened 9 days ago. It should all by dry by now but I don‘t want any potential mold to linger. It was caused by a pinhole leak, the rock never got soaked enough to be soft, but you can see a small area where the paint bubbled just a bit.

Anyone have a referral for a handyman or drywall guy near Jefferson?

Had a leak in a hose a week ago. The plumber came and repaired it, but now I have a hole in the sheet rock. It measures 4.5” x 10”, is in a tight space in a garage closet.

What do I need from the Depot to fix and seal it so cold air doesn‘t get in the walls? Please use small words. Anything more complicated than a light switch is normally out of my league.
View attachment 3958723View attachment 3958724
If you are not looking for an impossible to see repair and just want to stop the cold, use spray foam. Trim around the edge of the sheet rock hole with a razor knife then spray it in. Don’t over do it or the Sheetrock will budge out. When it dries, use a hacksaw blade to cut it flush to the wall.

If it was a pinhole leak in copper, there’s a good chance you’ll have more. Look for teal colored spots on the outside of the copper. Anywhere you see those, there’s corrosion inside the pipe working towards another pinhole. We did a whole house repipe a few years ago after having multiple pinholes & discovering more corrosion in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom