• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you aim?

I took two new pistols to the range today. I noticed that I needed to put the front dot right a little above the 5-6" steel targets at 15 yards. I'm starting to feel that the way I shoot is neeing to aim high just a bit. I square up the rear dots so that the target is in betweeen the rear too. I place the front dot a little high. This generally gives me 80% accuracy or better. I'm curious as to how you shoot and with what. I do this with my HK vp9, Sig 229 legion, Glock 17 and others.

Small. But I miss large.

With handguns that have a fixed rear sight that moves right or left and and a blade front sight you are pretty much limited to what the gun will hit. With adjustable rear sight you can adjust the point of impact. I like the 6 o'clock point of aim so I can see my target. When you build a 1911 you file the front sight down to adjust up and down impact unless you have fully adustable rear sights. I have one 1911 that has the rear sight that moves to the right and left and I have to put the dot on the bullseye to get the correct hit. All my other handguns have adjustable rear sights so I set them up to the 6 o'clock point of aim. I also do the 6 on my rifles to see the exact point of impact. If you set the sight up to put the dot on the point of impact you have to keep moving the rifle or pistol to make sure you are right on the target when you shoot at a distance because the site covers the POI.
When I set my AR's up I use the KNS kit that has the very sharp tip so I can make sure my hit point is right on the money. It allows me to keep the front sight absolutely correct in relation to the POI.
Everyone has their preference but to me being able to see the bullseye sitting right on top of the front sight is better and I don't don't have to reaffirm my aim point.

You could shop around for a higher front sight that would bring the POI down so you get the gun shooting like you prefer. Maybe a fiber optic sight. Measure the height of the front sight blade and order one that is higher. Or just install a fully adjustable rear sight. The first being the most cost effective.

Look through your sights. See the target. Learn to shoot with both eyes open if defense is your goal...

Aiming in a self defense situation, could become premeditation, in the eyes of certain juries.

I don't see the time to be aiming in a self defense situation. I practice point and shoot. You should be able to pull everyday carry, without sights and hit a pie pan 3 out of 4 shots at 15 or 20 feet.

To know what height sight that you need (Front or back) then you need to know what is the weight of the projectile, what is the speed of the projectile, what is the distance to the target.
there is a reason that competition shooters religiously shoot the same ammo set up.
Now in practical shooting inside 15 -20 yards none of this makes much difference as the projectile is going to hit inside a 10-12 inch circle regardless of weight/ speed/etc.
defensive ammo is way over thought as to weight/ power etc.
more attention should be focused on 120 % function through the weapon.

Aiming in a self defense situation, could become premeditation, in the eyes of certain juries.

I don't see the time to be aiming in a self defense situation. I practice point and shoot. You should be able to pull everyday carry, without sights and hit a pie pan 3 out of 4 shots at 15 or 20 feet.

I would suggest only in the eyes of a jury composed of all IDIOTS!
This is one of those scenarios involving what ifs.
either a shooting is justified or its not.

I would suggest only in the eyes of a jury composed of all IDIOTS!
This is one of those scenarios involving what ifs.
either a shooting is justified or its not.

You must ain't real acquainted with the judicial system in this country.

Most juries are composed of IDIOTS, that's the way the lawyers like them to be.

What if you loaded your weapon then took careful aim and killed the perp? This is what the prosecuting attorney will claim, and that you could have went and hid in your safe space until the threat was over.

Back
Top Bottom