• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you disassemble an original Mustang II front suspension?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I own a hot rod that someone placed a donor Mustang II manual IFS into. Most likely from a 74-78 Mustang or Pinto. This one needs a new IFS, upper control arms replaced, new shocks, new ball joints and grease. There is a certain way to take it apart I am sure. One issue is a concern for springs under pressure going THWANG and causing damage.

I never changed a Mustang II suspension, but have seen in the past when the proper spring compression tools were not available, people used metal wire to wrap around the compressed coils.

I never changed a Mustang II suspension, but have seen in the past when the proper spring compression tools were not available, people used metal wire to wrap around the compressed coils.

When I did mine I think I had the car on jack stands and the control arm under a floor jack and let it down slow. Not sure if thats the right aproach but it worked for me.

I think that's what I'll have to do.

Just be careful. Id hate to think something could happen because you listened to something my dumbass did! Lol

Working on cars is always days of frustration filled with a final sense of achievement for me. I sure know my neighbors have heard some choice words from my driveway.

The jack will work fine as said, go slow, for a little extra safety if you want, run a ratchet step or 2 through the spring ant to the frame to keep it from jumping out at you if the jack goes down too fast.

Back
Top Bottom