• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you pick a caliber?

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
What I want to know is how do you choose a caliber?
I have a 1903A3 action and stock and plan to make a Golden Era style sporter. Before anyone goes off on me for bubbaing a rare piece of military history, I would be happy to trade this unmolested action for one that has been drilled and tapped.
I have yet to decide on a caliber. My intended use for this rifle is the occasional shooter but mainly as just something to own. I cannot afford a Sedgley or a Nieder so I will make my own in their style. With that in mind caliber choice should not be consuming so much time. Though it has been fun and informative researching it.

I do not like recoil. With that said the number of rounds ever likely to be fired consecutively should make it a consideration but not the deciding factor. I would like something period correct. I think a wildcat would be interesting. That of course raises the cost of the project. I want an accurate cartridge. That whole interesting rifle thing. I don't want to have to make changes to the bolt face. Again a cost consideration.

So I could leave it 30-06 but wheres the fun in that? One of the -06 variants, 25,6.6.5, all real possibilities. The 6.5mm has a lot of good bullets to choose from to help get an accurate load worked up. The 22-250 a real hot rod, and while I don't hunt I think the Golden Age rifles were hunters so I am leaning toward the .244 or as it was know later the 6mm Remington. The 6mms low recoil accuracy and ability to be used on up to med size game makes it a real contender. The .257 Roberts in it's Ackely improved configuration is a strong contender. While not as good a cartridge for game as other 6.5mm's the .256 Newton has history and an interesting story.
Now if I were not looking for a period correct cartridge I would go with the .6MM BR.When I build my F-class rifle that may be the cartridge for it.
So the research goes on.

I bought a lot of Precision Shooting back issues and was reading an article about the comparison of cartridges based on capacity to bore size(overbore), Neck length to caliber ratio and turbulence point.( The point along the bores axis that powder grains are directed to by shoulder angle). Now this is a 2001 issue and I realize that sometimes some new information comes along to make old info meaningless.
The articles author suggested that a long neck. One that is 100%+ of caliber and a Turbelence point of less than 100% meaning the TP falls within the neck of the case and not in the barrel. Stating that the TP inside the neck cuts down on bore erosion.

Are these factors that any of you consider when making a new caliber choice?

Bryan, it sounds to me that the style of the rifle, and having the rifle as a keepsake/showpiece, is more important to you than using it. If so, why change calibers? 30-06 was a mainstay of sporterized rifles in the U.S., the king of 20the century American hunting cartridges. If you plan to reload for it, you can make it have whatever level of recoil you like. A ton of ammo and bullet choices. Assuming the bore and throat are good, the money spent on a new barrel could be spent on higher end finish work.

Those were and are considerations.The 30-06 IS the American classic cartridge. I am going to have to replace the barrel or have a slight contour put on it. A previous owner tried to smooth the barrels exterior and put waves in it. I plan on doing everything except the blueing. So level of finish is up to my patience and willingness to do things right.

What were the factors in the last caliber rifle you chose?

Since no one else seems to have hit on the specifics of why they chose a specific round, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I chose a 30-06 for a few reasons. 1st, it is a VERY common round. 2nd, it has the range to cover any shot I ever anticipate taking, and 3rd, there are virtually unlimited combinations of bullet weights and charges. Since I reload, this played a considerable role in my choice. I also use a 35 rem lever gun frequently. I chose the 35 because I wanted a big honkin bullet moving relatively slow (compared to others). While ammo is not as readily available over the shelf, the components are there for reloading. This caliber is not good for longer shots but will easily take shorter shots in brush or cover.

Junior 357: My question is why do you want a .25-06? What went into making the choice?

Several things...but most of them are based on the purpose of the gun: different types of hunting.

First, the .25-06 is accurate out to 400 yards...and its MPBR is like 290 yards...meaning no ballistic compensation needed out to that range (less than 3" of bullet drop). That's plenty long enough for anything I would need.

Second, low recoil. Nothing like a lot of calibers that will reach out and touch something at that range...definitely nothing like a 300WM.

Third - versatility. A 117-120 grain out of a .25-06 is plenty for the deer down here in GA. Load it down to around 100 grains...it becomes an ideal coyote gun. Load it down to the 75-87 grain range...it becomes a great varmint gun with a projectile that literally explodes when it hits something.

Why do I want a .25-06? Mainly because I already have the short range shots covered between my hunting revolver and my trusty old 336 in .35 Rem. And I want 1 rifle that does it all out to 300 yards. Heck, I can't see much past 200 yards with my crappy eyesight...so knowing I can point blank shoot to that range is exactly the kind of confidence I want/need. Would it take a bear at long range...probably not. But otherwise...it seems like the ideal caliber for my needs. Would it be for you? Only you know...

Oh...and good ammo is available without reloading at all bullet weights I listed. And it's like 1/3 the price of the Weatherby .257 Magnum ammo...which if money was no object would be my caliber of choice. On the other hand, I wouldn't fire a .257 Magnum out of a 100-yr. old action either...

hbrad3, Thanks for the imput. If I ever had the ole choose one caliber it would be the 30-06 for exactly the reasons you give it can take anything in North America and is a proven accurate round even out to 1000 yards.
It is funny you mentioned the 35 calilber. I was just reading some post in another forum expounding the 35 Whelen as a good rechambering choice for the 1903A3. As I mentioned I am not a fan of recoil but I have never had a magnum performance rifle before. The Whelen is certainly interesting and period specific. Having been designed in 1922 by Col.Townsend Whelen and developed by James Howe of Griffin & Howe fame.
Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom