• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you price a used truck nowadays (realistically?)

3 years ago it would have been a 2500 truck, regardless of AC or not. Now, with cold AC it could bring 5k. Truck market is dumb right now, especially diesels. That market is cooling off a little but I think trucks and suvs in general are going to fall off due to fuel prices.

A repeat of the mid to late 70's when you could hardly give away a V8 powered vehicle.
I tuned 15 in 1979

The cheapest cars to buy were the ten year old , worn out, started to get rusty , gas guzzling muscle cars .

I had a 69 Mercury cyclone Cale Yarborough edition that cost $275

My best friend had a 71 Torino with a boss 351 and a shaker scoop that cost $900 and a 73 Trans am that cost $1,200

Another friend had a 69 super bee that was $1000

My brother had a $500 68 mustang
His buddy had a $1200 69 Chevelle 396
Etc etc etc
You literally could not give away a gas guzzler after the Muslim Arab oil embargo in 74 with the gas rationing and the price of gas tripled , IF you could find a gas station that had any, and then they would only sell you five gallons every other day.
and the Iran revolution in 79 causing the price to double again .

I’m thinking about selling a few vehicles. Both are well used but serviceable. I’ve seen junk listed well over what I would Ask for either of mine. How do you price trucks now to sell? Should I just shoot for the moon with stupid pricing and see what happens? One is my 1988 K1500. 350 TBI and 4 speed auto, Tons of miles, odometer broken at around 300k but has had motor replaced as well as transmission and Rear end rebuilt over time. 4wd works body in good shape with faded red paint, and it’s fun to drive - but I have no idea anymore if it’s worth $2500 or $9500!?
it doesn't matter what you price it at some tire kicker will offer you 1/2 of what you want for it and think they are doing you a favor.

Been looking at getting an older pick up, $5k seems to be the starting medium for sub-par vehicles. Loads out there cheaper but they need work which who knows how far down the rabbit hole some of the repairs would cost

Back
Top Bottom