• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you reload this!

MarkyyDee

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   1
Reaction score
So before I get rid of all my 357 sigs, I figured why not learn to reload 357! Heres the thing, I know absolutely nothing about reloading and I have only heard of the horror that 357 brings. My logic is, if I can learn to reload 357sig other calibers won't be as hard to grasp. What are the minimum needed to even begin reloading? How much does it cost? Feel free to post any videos or articles you have that could help.

Curious as to why .357 Sig is harder to reload than other calibers?

As long as you follow the recommendations of any reputable manual, the mechanical process is the same.

If you have a manual (which should be the starting place for anyone beginning reloading) it will pretty well explain the process and the equipment you need to begin.

The cost to start reloading is somewhere between $40 and $4000. Sort of like asking, "how much does a car cost."

Plus the search feature will show you this question has been answered numerous times.

Curious as to why .357 Sig is harder to reload than other calibers?

As long as you follow the recommendations of any reputable manual, the mechanical process is the same.

If you have a manual (which should be the starting place for anyone beginning reloading) it will pretty well explain the process and the equipment you need to begin.

The cost to start reloading is somewhere between $40 and $4000. Sort of like asking, "how much does a car cost."

Plus the search feature will show you this question has been answered numerous times.
The .357 Sig can be a little more challenging because the case, in most guns, head spaces on the shoulder. If you improperly set your die the shoulder can be too far forward or back, and exactly where the shoulder needs to be can vary slightly from gun to gun, you get light strikes or failure to chamber. There is also a very short bearing surface so bullet selection is more critical.

Right now, with the cost of components and factoring in the cost of say $400 for a single stage press kit, you will not save a dime, even after loading 10K rounds. Regardless, it is a great hobby. Invest in a good reloading manual, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, etc. before you spend a single penny on hardware.

Unless you need to control components, velocity, etc., it's not worth the investment in my opinion. Reloading obsolete or difficult to source cartridges is economical....if you shoot them. I'd hate to buy 450-577 Martini Henry or 8mm Japanese, or even 30-40 Krag. If I'm using cast bullets, I can load for a fraction of the cost of new. I think .357 Sig is still commonly available, my earlier joke post aside

My 2 cents:

There really is not a good reason in my mind to reload 357sig. It is harder to do than other cartridges. The dies are more expensive, and the crimp is harder to manage.

I would just buy factory 357sig ammo.

Most 357sig guns are easily converted to 40 or 9mm with a drop in barrel. The 9 and 40 are easy to reload, they work well with cast lead bullets, and switching over to one of them would likely save you more money than sticking with 357sig.

The 357sig is a great cartridge for people who want a flat shooting, powerful 9mm bullet, but a 9 or forty will work inside of 25 yards just as well in all but a few circumstances, and a 9mm will normally hold a couple more bullets in the mag.

That may have been more than 2 cents....

Back
Top Bottom