• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you reload this!

Unless you need to control components, velocity, etc., it's not worth the investment in my opinion. Reloading obsolete or difficult to source cartridges is economical....if you shoot them. I'd hate to buy 450-577 Martini Henry or 8mm Japanese, or even 30-40 Krag. If I'm using cast bullets, I can load for a fraction of the cost of new. I think .357 Sig is still commonly available, my earlier joke post aside

I agree some rounds aren't worth the trouble but if you already have the equipment then 357 sig is worth it.
Lot of rifle rounds are worth it too, but 9 really isn't especially the target rounds which I've bought somewhat recently at 20 cents a round.

They are more difficult because the are not straight wall like 9 ,45, 357 mag.
The bottle neck makes the job tougher for sure especially when seating and crimping.

Just so we can keep the discussion going, the 9 mm is not a straight wall case.

And people have been successfully reloading the .44-40 for 150 years or so (bottle necked cartridge).

They are more difficult because the are not straight wall like 9 ,45, 357 mag.
The bottle neck makes the job tougher for sure especially when seating and crimping.

I believe that you also can't get/afford carbide dies for the caliber??
so you have to lube the cases?
I don't reload that caliber mostly because of the more work involved and I have both 10 MM and 38 Supers So 357 Sig in the middle of those don't make sense to me.
I think its great caliber but bottleneck cases in a pistol are just a big old PITA for me.
I have a couple of buddies that reload the 357 Sig and I think they use a mix of dies to reload them and bypass the lube the case, but again I don't load it so I may be totally off base with the loading process?

Just so we can keep the discussion going, the 9 mm is not a straight wall case.

And people have been successfully reloading the .44-40 for 150 years or so (bottle necked cartridge).

True but really very few semi auto cartridges are true straight walled cases!
the 9 MM just happens to be a very tapered case, where others are barely tapered.
the 30 Luger might be a better comparison as its a semi auto cartridge, can't recall a 44-40 chambered auto?

A lot to consider, before starting a reloading hobby, find someone in your area and try to ask them to help you learn the art, safety, safety, safety, you are after all dealing with explosives!

good luck in your reloading quest...

Right now, with the cost of components and factoring in the cost of say $400 for a single stage press kit, you will not save a dime, even after loading 10K rounds. Regardless, it is a great hobby. Invest in a good reloading manual, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, etc. before you spend a single penny on hardware.

Sorry but I will disagree. Took 1500 rounds of 38 Spl to break even on the initial press and componets when me and my dad started reloading a couple years ago. I currently reload 9mm plated for .07 a round. I have not found a round I reload that I'm not saving 50% or more in cost.

I shoot a good bit of 38 Super and 10 MM as well as 45acp so I save a good bit of money by reloading, more importantly I always have ammo on the shelf when I need it.
9 MM, 40 S & W, and 38 Spl are likely the least of the calibers that save money due to factory prices.
I load about 10-K each year. buy in Bulk, but its hard to reload a 9 MM or 40 for much under 10 cents per round if you figure the actual cost, sales tax, the cost of the components, gas or shipping etc, as primers are near 2 1/2 -3 1/2 cents per round and plated/ jacketed projectiles bring the cost in to near 7-8 -9 cents.
course depends on what projectile (lighter are cheaper) and what primers ( some are fairly cheap.)
Powder is the cheapest of the components but even that does have a small cost per bullet.

I shoot a good bit of 38 Super and 10 MM as well as 45acp so I save a good bit of money by reloading, more importantly I always have ammo on the shelf when I need it.
9 MM, 40 S & W, and 38 Spl are likely the least of the calibers that save money due to factory prices.
I load about 10-K each year. buy in Bulk, but its hard to reload a 9 MM or 40 for much under 10 cents per round if you figure the actual cost, sales tax, the cost of the components, gas or shipping etc, as primers are near 2 1/2 -3 1/2 cents per round and plated/ jacketed projectiles bring the cost in to near 7-8 -9 cents.
course depends on what projectile (lighter are cheaper) and what primers ( some are fairly cheap.)
Powder is the cheapest of the components but even that does have a small cost per bullet.
But even at $.10/Rd ($5/bx), you're still saving 50% or more over the promo loads from Walmart, etc.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

I always figure a 50% savings on pistol loads.

Generally: Rifle loads are hard to save money on, particularly if consider your time. However, I do save money on hard to find rifle ammo, like: 375 Winchester, or any Big Bang Magnum Cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom