• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you reload this!

But even at $.10/Rd ($5/bx), you're still saving 50% or more over the promo loads from Walmart, etc.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Yea, not debating that point, actually I save MEGA money on the 38 Super and 10 MM and really good on the 45 acp.
I am just noting that I can't possibly reload any center fire ammo for 7 cents a round if I figure in all the parts of cost.
if others can more power to them, possibly if one cast their own lead projectiles.
380, 9 MM and 38 Super all cost within pennies of each other per box of 50 as basically its the same loading except for powder, which for me over all cost run about 6.00-6.50 per box of 50.

things i have discovered reloading .357 sig:
it isnt hard...but it isnt like loading pistol. its like loading rifle.
I very lightly chamfer the case mouth like a rifle case.
I DO NOT bell my .357 sig cases. the biggest documented problem with .357 sig is bullet setback.
I combat bullet setback by creating a lot of neck tension by not belling the case. I use hornady xtp bullets...nice boat tail.
I use a regular taper crimp.
I also use a "high fill" or fluffy powder, like bluedot. you cannot double charge, and max loads are compressed. no where for the bullet to setback.
many people dont like .357 sig because to load on a progressive press...you need carbide bottle neck dies, or a .40s&w body die, then the .357sig FL carbide...I load on a single stage press..its like loading .223, same steps...semi slow.

I really like the .357 sig cartridge tho, it feeds very well once you iron out your OAL...im getting 1275fps w/a 147gr xtp over 8.5gr bluedot out of a glock 31 gen3. load is safe in my pistol, ymmv. Hornady loads the 147gr xtp as factory ammo w/advertised 1225fps for 18.49/20rds. im way under half that cost.

loading .357 sig makes sense IF you like the caliber. if you dont shoot it, you dont save $$$ loading it, lol.

I used to carry a Sig 229 in 357Sig & a G32 in 357Sig as a backup.
I love the flat shooting high pressure rounds and have been rolling my own for almost 30 years on everything.... except the 357Sig round. Just too time consuming like precise long range food when its not needed for the 357Sig pistol rounds.
If im spending that kind of time on reloads, its for 220 Swift and 264 Win Mag precise distance rounds.
Find your factory favorite and buy in bulk. Hell, go in with a half a dozen guys on here and split 10 cases or so to get cheaper.

I started loading .357 sig for my buddies carry piece...ended up buying a glock 31 cause i liked the round. but i agree, id rather be loading .308 or .20 VT. but i dont shoot pistol much past my carry piece, gotta keep up with that.

So before I get rid of all my 357 sigs, I figured why not learn to reload 357! Heres the thing, I know absolutely nothing about reloading and I have only heard of the horror that 357 brings. My logic is, if I can learn to reload 357sig other calibers won't be as hard to grasp. What are the minimum needed to even begin reloading? How much does it cost? Feel free to post any videos or articles you have that could help.
You can buy Ultramax for right at .33 a round shipped and that is not bad and the defensive rounds are right in line with other factory ammo if you don't want to get into reloading

Id love to have a 1911 in .357 sig, maybe even a long slide. And if I had one I would sure as heck reload. In fact I dont think I would buy one unless I planned to reload it. Ammo is too high for cartridges like .357 sig. You will save alot more reloading them than you will on a more popular cal. like 9mm or .45 ACP. Of course you will not spend very much at all on .357 sig. if you just shoot 9mm instead. Isn't that what someone advised. LOL

Don't know if anyone makes a 1911 357Sig??
that's a very higher pressure round (40,000 PSI) for the 1911 platform.
might need to add an additional locking lug, and certainly I would think would need a ramped barrel for added support.
that 40,000 PSI is 2500 Psi Higher than the 10 MM and 5000 PSI higher than the 40 S & W.

Back
Top Bottom