• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you store your ammo?

For you metal can storage guys...

http://shop.ammocanmagnets.com/

2013-08-26165158_zps7fc5e868.jpg

Or, duct tape and a sharpie...

I'm cheap like that.
I'm a duct tape and sharpie guy myself, but I did splurge and buy a 2 pack of sharpies. I can be a big spender every now and then.

Spread sheet of ammo amount, type and caliber
30/50 cal ammo can
I put the ammo in loose because the boxes dont count for **** and make a lot of trash when i need it.
A piece of paper with the round count inside the can, and a desiccant pack.

Storage ammo gets tape over the lid with the caliber and type listed on it. Dont use stored ammo.
Range ammo bets put loose in a can and i grab it when i need it, calibers separated because accidents can happen

long gun magazines fit nicely in a 20mm ammo can

I use painters tape but some have duck tape.
"Zombie" ammo gets put in ammo cans,loose with desiccant packs inside the safe. Range ammo stays in original packaging, with desiccant packs inside ammo cans.
20160608_000020.jpg
20160607_235902.jpg

Ammo cans and can put them at floor of the safe and let the rifle butts rest on them (got this suggestion from another ODTer - I would give credit, but I can't remember your name), or can stack em. I have found a Plano box that is a bit shorter and squatier, but holds more ammo - boxed or loose - and I can stack them 3 high in the space 2 regular sized ammo cans take. They do have seals to make them water tight and only cost $4.88 each at Wally World. Now, someone is going to say, 'but the plastic will melt in a fire!', which may be true, but I am more concerned with the storage / organizational function, as I have never had a fire, but my ammo and crap always needs to be organized. Also, I have never had a handle break either. Anywho... my $.02
20160608_090048.jpg

20160608_090119.jpg

Most of my ammo is 7.62 x 39... Have a few old Spam can crates, lots of Ammo cans, and lots in original bulk ammo packaging...
In a few places around the house...

Never said that. Store your ammo how you want. I have put 3000 (20rd) boxes of .223 in a safe before with room to spare.

Sorry, I inferred that when you mentioned easily putting 20k rounds in a safe and also $20k of ammo in the safe. Your point is taken though. If you optimized a safe for ammo storage only, you could fit a ton of it in there and none of it is cheap. My point is the average person could fit way more value in a safe with guns than ammo and most people don't have that much ammo. 60k rounds of 223 in one safe? Wow!

Back
Top Bottom