• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you think a war with China would affect your investments?

That photo is disturbing.
If you think that's bad this should really scare the hell out of you
1643663636659.png

Everyone is a brilliant investor with historical data. It’s the timing that’s tough.

I read something about a hypothetical portfolio that pulled money out during the corrections. Even during the corrections there were some of the biggest up days the market ever had. Just missing like those 12 days (despite the fact they missed all the corrections/etc) meant that portfolio was like 40% lower than the one that just kept on keeping on and never pulled out.
I think You are spot on. Timing the market is Hard to do.. I was lucky and went to all cash and bonds in Feb 2020. My money guy said I had lost my mind... About 6 weeks later he called me and said that he wished he had taken my warning for himself, and his other clients... I redeployed to late and missed the big bounce but got in July'ish 2020. I take some money and buy on dips.. It is hard to be disciplined, and have generally made out well. I rotate to different sectors and speculate on them coming off their lows.

Diverse investments help cushion the blow. I bought a bunch of land 15 years ago, had it Cruised and just went out to bid. Expect the timber to sell at above what I payed for all of it. Will replant in pines and leave it for my sons for their retirement income. in 25 years.

Everyone is a brilliant investor with historical data. It’s the timing that’s tough.

I read something about a hypothetical portfolio that pulled money out during the corrections. Even during the corrections there were some of the biggest up days the market ever had. Just missing like those 12 days (despite the fact they missed all the corrections/etc) meant that portfolio was like 40% lower than the one that just kept on keeping on and never pulled out.

Depending on which stocks you have and what stocks cut their dividends, but let's say the stock market drops $20 on what's currently valued in the next year. Given that the average dividend is 3-4%, a person will be loosing about $2-6 of dividend per year, per share. Since the market has shown it's struggling and making an effort to regain what it can rather quickly, it's showing that the struggle is real & any outside unexpected influence can cause a heavy hit.

Now with that $20 drop, that may or may not have a probability in the next year. A person wouldn't be loosing out as much on higher risk stocks where dividends will be cut, which will cut the share down even more.

I don't see pulling out of the market completely. But...for certain sectors that have high risk to a coming crash, for me it's prudent to accept my profits now, diversify & stash some aside for future gains in potential stock bargain's.

Anyone have a pic of the mythological EMP? I have never seen one or seen for sell on the ODT.

We'd be $#!t out of luck if they were for sale here. Can you imagine someone getting so pissed off after waiting for an hour on a meet and figure F*!( it, I'm bring it back to the dark ages to teach that bastard a lesson.

So your of the mind that you'll have time to spend your monies if we are engaged in a war with China?
Glass half full I guess. :pop2:

So your of the mind that you'll have time to spend your monies if we are engaged in a war with China?
Glass half full I guess. :pop2:

Not exactly spend per say all my monies, but I highly doubt that a war with China will bring the end of our future. Even the Chinese leaders aren't so ignorant with what that would mean for themselves. Such a bleak outlook would bring me to invest in a comfy bunker stocked full of my favorite scotch & a large supply of helium to release in a small room to go out with a laugh after the food and liquor have run their course.

• Haha
Reactions: Nat
China is buying up & hoarding grain, coal, & natural gas. It may point to their preparedness for a potential war against Taiwan & any other aggressors that come to their aid. I could see them using the Ukraine issue to their advantage depending if the US pushes Russia too far and creates another point of focus that limits our full strength to help Taiwan.

Depending how far China would take the conflict, either taking our information/grid systems out with viruses or detonating a nuclear warhead above the atmosphere creating an EMP. The hyper sonic missile they tested has the capability to reach the eastern United States with no way to detect in time or intercept.

I'm playing with the idea of selling off certain stocks & keeping it as cash value in my Roth IRA as a "Just in Case" situation & use it for buying power when a drop does occur.

I think if we had some type of war with China -- my investments would be the last thing I would worry about. With the state of our population I'd be afraid of runs on the grocery stores and banks. Give some of these boobs 3 days without meals and some areas of the country would look like a Mad Maxx movie.....

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom