• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you value your bullion holdings ?

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
When it comes to valuing your bullion holdings what method do you use ? Bid / ask price from a particular market, bid / ask retail prices from a vendor ? + or - a certain % ?

What's your method ?

Not a gold investor here, but it seems like any other physical asset. How much work are you willing to put into selling it for? If the answer is that you need the money quickly, maybe the pawn shop down the street is easiest. What are they paying? If you're willing to trade in your local area, is there a market place for that? If so, what's it bringing there?

If you needed to liquidate some gold in the next week, how would you do it? How about in the next 30 days?

Zillow says my house is worth 2x more than it was 5 years ago, but I wouldn't put too much stock in that until I actually got ready to sell and did some research about my market.

Really it's a commodity, traded on open markets. You can establish a value based on those prices. It's which prices do people use, and how do they adjust them.

Some might say use the ask spot price from the London market, others may use whatever the local pawn shop's paying. Ask / bid ? +- x % ?

If you're using the right valuation methods, yes. If I offered silver bullion at market spot bid I'd probably sell locally to a private buyer quite easily.

Really what method to use to to value portfolio holdings.

I valued mine based on what I paid for it, (circa 1970-80) my plan was that when it hit 10 times that, I'd liquidate, and I did that this year., retired now so why not, not leaving it for the fam to fight over

Back
Top Bottom