• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How does a Hunter ensure that what they hunt is killed and not wounded?

jacksonsmith4373

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I don’t know much about hunting but ideally I’d like to try it once, twice.. if I happen to like the experience, do it occasionally. I don’t think there’s anything morally wrong with hunting an animal for food, I just personally think that it’s technically not necessary when we can purchase meat and protein alternatives at the store. However, I do believe it can be a valuable skill to learn when it comes to survival or in a SHTF scenario and I’d like to be prepared just in case. When I do hunt one day, how do I ensure the best and quickest possibility of killing an animal to harvest it and not accidentally wound it so it can escape and die/survive in agony somewhere else. I plan to use a .308 AR-10 for medium and large game (hog and deer) 22wmr for small game (rabbit and maybe squirrel) and 12ga for game birds like duck. I know I didn’t have to go into so much detail or mention my philosophy on hunting but I thought I would share it and my future tools of choice to get informed responses.

Know how to estimate distance and know your holdovers or hold-unders at any realistic distance that you might engage from.

I once failed at this and took four shots at a deer that I swear it was 250 to 260 yards... finally blew its lungs out.

But when I paced it off, it was just a hair over 200 yds.

Pick the right bullet and send it into the vitals. Sometimes they flop around for a few seconds. Sometimes they run off and die. If it runs off and your confident you hit. Then wait a good while and go look for a blood trail.

Bullet selection is a critical aspect that can’t be overlooked. It makes the difference between an ethical dispatch and a suffering animal.

Putting the animal down is the easy part. Know your anatomy and be able to make the shot. After that you need to know how to butcher the animal and cook it. Also the tools need to process the meat. If your really wanting to be prepared for SHTF. Personally I always butcher/process my kill i feel like it’s part of the process and I enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom