• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How does a Hunter ensure that what they hunt is killed and not wounded?

Know how to estimate distance and know your holdovers or hold-unders at any realistic distance that you might engage from.

I once failed at this and took four shots at a deer that I swear it was 250 to 260 yards... finally blew its lungs out.

But when I paced it off, it was just a hair over 200 yds.
Lungs blown out? Must of been that 9 milly sleepy Joe was talking about!!

💥 🫁

Looks like everything has been covered.
Just keep in mind that the longer you hunt and the more interactions you have with deer you’ll eventually have a mishap , a bad shot, an unexpected movement from the animal, hitting a twig causing a tumble or diversion or a close shot that didn’t hit where you thought it would because you didn’t compensate for the muzzle but your target was perfectly in the scope and you end up shooting way low.

Also a great idea to check your scope mounting screws and take some practice shots before the season starts.
Many things can happen to a scopes accuracy from season to season and finding out the hard way that your scope is way off for some reason is never a good thing.
I had this happen to me as a young hunter on my second deer season where I shot at a doe and she just looked at me and continued browsing.
I shot again, and again until she finally got frustrated with me and slowly walked off leaving me perplexed
Later I found out my scope was hitting 12” too low and it was a lesson learned that I never repeated.

If you said you were hunting archery this thread could go on forever.

Being a new hunter I’m sure you’ll go through the hunters safety course and will have the rules fresh in your mind.
I sometimes think older hunters could benefit from a refreshed hunters safety course as it’s hard to drop bad habits for some of those guys.

Quick story.
I hunted once with a very experienced hunter.
He shot at a doe during rifle and we ended up trying to find its blood trail and didn’t find anything.
After an exhaustive search of the area I ended up finding a perfect chunk of fat that looked like a hole punched eraser from a pencil with a very minute trace of pink blood on one side.
No more blood or anything found and we searched for hours.

I would change one part of this from "the longer you hunt the more interactions you have with deer you'll eventually.have a mishap."

to

"the longer you hunt the more interactions you have with deer the likelihood of a mishap increases especially if you become complacement".
Or careless, wreckless, under the influence or just plain stupid.
I’ve seen it all.

Back
Top Bottom