• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How does the less expensive SW Shield in 40SW compare to the Gen4 G27?

mikef60

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
24   1
Reaction score
Looking at the prices on shields lately and compared to the pretty consistent pricing on the glocks I wonder which one of these guns might fit under the "most durable" category? You cannot ever get something for nothing. I am in the market for a .40 to shoot 200 grain Hard Cast or 200 grain XTP bullets from as a hiking/backpacking gun. I have a 9mm shield and shooting it against a rental gen 4 27 in .40SW I found I could shoot both about the same at 15 feet, the G27 was snappier but the 9 shield seems snappier to me than a G43 shooting the same loads. I have to wonder if the lower priced shield will hold up to consistent shooting of reloaded hard cast 200 grain bullets or the 200 grain XTP. I am only interested in the gun for the heavier bullets driven at close to 900 fps and I don't know if anyone has fired a 40 shield a lot with heavier bullets driven at their maximum velocity from its short barrel?

Unless you want to drive to Smyrna to have your glock repaired or send your Smith back after heavy loads, better get a ruger. Smith and glock are good guns but both break down under a lot of heavy loads.

A lot of guys on here and elsewhere swear by glock. Most don't shoot a lot of heavy hot loads. The glock and Smith shield were designed for Leo and cc use and not a lot of hot loads. There is a lot of hype for glock, but for strength you want a ruger.

Glocks are defective. They consistently group to the left......or I should say all mine have been defective. Sheild shoots straight for me.

Kman Kman I can attest to the glocks grouping left thing. Kind of annoying considering the community around them.

I have bought them over the years because I really like the guns reliability and customer service, but each time I try and practice practice practice to no avail. I've been told to switch out springs, triggers etc. If I need to do all that and spend $ so it "might" improve my shooting, I'm buying a different gun.

I have bought them over the years because I really like the guns reliability and customer service, but each time I try and practice practice practice to no avail. I've been told to switch out springs, triggers etc. If I need to do all that and spend $ so it "might" improve my shooting, I'm buying a different gun.
You aren't kidding. Right out of the box no problem with a beretta or a 1911 but if it's a Glock and there's a problem everyone says you have to change the whole gun over just to get the same performance as everyone else. I'm not bashing them they just need to come with night sights and better triggers from factory.

Back
Top Bottom