• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How good can you get with dry fire and 50 rds a month?

Luke_ShorrMG

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
I am a college student so I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars a week on ammo and range days, but I have access to a good private outdoor shooting spot. I train 15-20 min of dry fire a day, I use the iTarget training system, a blowback airsoft gun, and lots of empty clicking XD. I also do about 50-70 rds of drills at the range per month, mostly recoil management, flinch, and trigger control. I'd say I am at a decent skill level, but do you think I need more?

Any suggestions on further training methods that save money?

I learned everything I train from Youtubing Trex Arms and Warrior Poet Society, plus John Lovells classes on the WPSN app.

Sounds like you’re off to a great start. Muscle memory reflex can only be learned through repetition and any good practice techniques are better than none. If you can find some matches to compete in it will help you improve and develop various techniques. I have found shooting with people that are better shots than me always helps me improve. Good luck.

See how much training with Airsoft (no recoil) guns, and a lot of DRY-FIRE practice,
can help with your first experience with real firearms.
A teenager from Japan came to the USA and did some training on real guns for the first time, but thanks to
his extensive dry-firing and airsoft experience back in Japan....

Some people only flinch when they shoot real centerfire rounds--- from guns that have significant recoil.
Those people may not flinch at all why dry-firing, shooting airsoft, shooting BB or .177 pellet pistols, etc.
Maybe not even shooting a .22LR from a full-sized pistol that weighs over 25 oz.

Can you simulate recoil during your dry-fire practice?

Well, I thought about a way, cheap, but it requires a training partner. You aim a BB / pellet pistol at the target, and your friend stands to the side of you and holds a broom or mop or similar padded, non-scratching thing on the end of a stick, near your hand. When you take the shot, in a fraction of a second your friend smacks your gun hand, or the gun's muzzle, pretty hard.
When you can ignore this unwelcome, uncomfortable shove that you KNOW is about to happen but still break the shot nice and steady without flinching, squinting your eyes, or jerking the trigger, you know you'll probably be steady when shooting most normal centerfire guns.

P.S. This would not be "dry fire" because the BB or pellet gun would put a hole in the target, thus showing you PROOF of whether you flinched / jerked the shot.
If you're close to your desired aiming point, then you know you didn't let the anticipation of the "recoil" bother you.

Back
Top Bottom