• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Has Your Collecting Philosophy Evolved

Its always been milsurp for me. Tried ARs several times but they have no soul and i get no pleasure from them (except the odt lowers). I seem to be moving towards the older US milsurps as deals can be found. Owning an authentic rifle/musket from the 1800's that can still be safely fired is a lot of fun but can get expensive.
I keep thinking I need a nice military flintlock. Have not pulled the trigger yet, because I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Knowledge is power in the collecting hobby.

started off wanting shotguns and bolt rifles. then decided i liked single action revolvers better. now that i have a few in all different calibers im starting to realize that ammo costs to keep a good stash for each gun and actually shot them is almost as expensive as buying a new gun. i have a few more single actions i want (38-40, 44-40, 30 Carbine) to get then im going towards lever guns in same calibers as my revolvers and Ruger Mark IV's. that my long term goal.

I keep thinking I need a nice military flintlock. Have not pulled the trigger yet, because I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Knowledge is power in the collecting hobby.

I do understand. I did pick up a couple of percussions but flintlocks scare me a little without someone to show me the ropes. Deercreek Gunshop in Marietta have some weapons and supplies in stock and they are really helpful and friendly.

I started wanting anything and everything in the crap pile, I liked working on them getting them going then passing them along to the next guy. Then moved to milsurp pistols didnt last long there as I dont rewlly care about pistols. After that info8nd myself deep in milsurp rifles hit mausers and Enfields hard but ended up selling them because they were not really fun to shoot plus I like being able to complete collections and you really cant do that with mausers. Russian French Japanese Swiss and Italian surplus Is what I really love. But I am currently in a pre-1880's self cantianee cartridge guns kick i.e. martini rifles 577 snider and 41 swiss 8mm lebel. I do still drool at and buy other milsurps even on my current kick. It's hard to find good deals and rifles that started it all.

When I started really getting into history, primarily military history, I bought everything I ever read about that I could. Still do to a point, but my interest in the Great War has always kind of taken priority..so I gravitate mostly to that when the opportunity presents itself.
But if I run across the odd, off the wall rusty relic, I gotta have it!

I’m like a kid in a candy store. Everything looks so good I want one of each. Not too much interested in current production but nice older guns of any type that are in nice condition and at a reasonable price, I’m subject to take home.

My collecting days are gone. The older I get, the more I realize I want less stuff to take care of. I don’t even have the motivation to sell or buy. I’d rather spend my limited free time with my family and shooting is low on their list.

Back
Top Bottom