• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Has Your Collecting Philosophy Evolved

I started out just being into pistols. The first panic set me off into my first black rifle...I wanted an AR but got an AUG instead. Finally got into ARs and wanted the newest, latest and greatest tactical everything. Finally came around full circle into A1/A2 and SOPMOD clones. Then came the want for wood rifles which brought me into the milsurps. I avoided AKs like the plague until this year and now I can't get enough of them...

I started out just being into pistols. The first panic set me off into my first black rifle...I wanted an AR but got an AUG instead. Finally got into ARs and wanted the newest, latest and greatest tactical everything. Finally came around full circle into A1/A2 and SOPMOD clones. Then came the want for wood rifles which brought me into the milsurps. I avoided AKs like the plague until this year and now I can't get enough of them...

It's a slippery slope, this gun collection thingy! I started off as a hunter just wanting nice hunting (guns). This didn't suffice my needs. I starting wanting big bore handguns for hunting , then that movie came out where the Beretta 92 was the latest and greatest gun, had to have it! Then the stone kept turning till todays tactical cool guns, and now i find myself still earning for those beautiful wood hunting caliber rifles , full circle. It has been a fun ride, and i don't see myself stopping anytime soon, because the latest and greatest firearms will come along and keep the ball rolling.

Funny you should mention this because as a coin collector, we go thru the same process, eventually deciding on a specific coin or time frame. I started with modern coins, dabbled in ancients, picked up a bunch of coins of the Bible and think I'm finally settling on flying Eagle pennies as a real collection. As far as guns/weapons, I'm more of a utilitarian, what works best in what situation and then own a few fun guns I enjoy.

You have the same terrible symptoms of that disease I have. Coins to me, are worse than guns, and can be much more expensive.

But back to the gun addiction , shotguns are tempting me, I have a few, but not enough ...:behindsofa:

mostly stick to just one model with multiple variations that share most parts. Hobby "gunsmithing" and restoring play a role when one gets to a certain point in collecting in my case

Trap / Skeet..... two totally different disciplines. I shot trap competitively for a few years and loved it. Will probably go back to it in the near future.

Time for you to get a nice BT-99 for your trap fix. I shoot a Franchi Alcione SL Sport.

2012 contestants - Art.jpg

1st phase - Got to have a battery to fight the blue helmets.
2nd phase - Anything cheap milsurp no matter the country, condition paramount since I shoot them.
3rd phase - Pre '89 "assualt rifles"
4th phase - FN/FALs and L1A1s, ended up with 17 at one time.
5th phase - Flinters, many styles. Still have 7.
6th phase - US military surplus rifles, 1863 - 1977.
7th phase - (Just entering this one) Machine guns.

Back
Top Bottom