• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is rarity defined?

An appealing stippled Glock is a rarity.

rare.jpg

My right hand rubber band gun is rare because there isn't another one just like it in the world, but that doesn't make it valuable.

rare
[rer]
infrequent · scarce · sparse · few and far between · thin on the ground ·
occasional · limited · odd · isolated · unaccustomed · unwonted
antonyms: common · frequent

Rare don’t mean poop if there’s no demand.

I have several firearms that were fewer than 100 made, and never will be made again by law (Open bolt semi automatics) but since there’s almost no demand for them I can call them rare, seldom seen, hen’s teeth.. the price is still mediocre.
Exactly.

Conversely, many folks will scoff at a gun listed as rare simply because it's not a gun that they like. The fact that you (as in anyone) don't like Glock doesn't drop the value of my G19 and G23 gill models. There are plenty of people willing to pay top dollar.

That word is used way too much to justify a price or to drum up interest. I believe a better term/word would be uncommon. It's not "rare", it's just not something you see every day. A great example would be my Model 10 with a 5" barrel. It is not rare by any means, but that barrel length is uncommon compared to the usual 2, 4, or even 6 inch length.

That word is used way too much to justify a price or to drum up interest. I believe a better term/word would be uncommon. It's not "rare", it's just not something you see every day. A great example would be my Model 10 with a 5" barrel. It is not rare by any means, but that barrel length is uncommon compared to the usual 2, 4, or even 6 inch length.
True. I have used the description "uncommon" in my ads before. Honestly, "rare " is overused regardless of its truth. I've sold rare items before, but I've never used the word in an ad. In my experience an item that is truly rare sells itself quickly.

Back
Top Bottom