• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

What ammo do you all reccomend for the M1A/M14 platform? Privi? Surplus? Anything to avoid?

I shoot Surplus out of my M14 and get good results.
this is some of what I soot is the Malaysian .308 (7.62x51) 146grn FMJ89.
I also shoot 308 Hirtenberger 146gr FMJ Ammo, Austrian 7.62x51.
I get real good results with either of these listed above, and if I want to tack drive I load my own with 176grn boat tail and my rifle really performs.

Edit: I will not shoot Steel case out of my M14 but I do out of my AR10

I mostly shoot ppu 168gr match ammo, and a little federal 168 match king. i like to shoot the Creedmoor .167gr with the lapua bullets at the cmp events. 175gr if the wind is strong.

For budget plinking i have used the pms 147 gr but there's an accuracy tradeoff that i don't like (have to re-adjust the sights). I've never tried to use surplus or steel case ammo in my m1a's. The picture that i shared earlier from the cmp was using the ppu 168gr match

8CBB8AE4-B600-4FC0-9B79-F3FDF817C7DD.jpeg

I think Bulgarian? It's a hot little round 7.62x25. You could, but don't, shoot it out of c96 Broomhandles that shoot 7.63 Mauser ammo which looks identical but is much tamer than the x25.

Well. Think I might grab some of this. Only drawback is the corrosive but heck I’m used to it by now. Would this be good in the tokarev pistols? Or is this more smg rated ammo.

-edit- made the splurge. Thanks Hayata!

Well. Think I might grab some of this. Only drawback is the corrosive but heck I’m used to it by now. Would this be good in the tokarev pistols? Or is this more smg rated ammo.

-edit- made the splurge. Thanks Hayata!

Let us know how she shoots!

I remember when these were listed and I came /this/ close to getting one. Oh well.

I followed along to the Brownells series on the M1A for proper lubrication , disassembly and reassembly. VERY easy to do. I used oil where instructed and VERY light lithium grease where instructed. I also hit the stock with some Formby's. She looks good. I am trying to draw the grain out.
m14full.jpg
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG

Hey guys. I've been following your thread for a while, figured I would say hi while y'all have been on my favorite topic. I've always had a love affair with M14/M1A's and the 308 caliber. I have a wide variety of milsurps in my safe, that is what got me started following your thread. I will try and chime in if i have anything to add to the conversation.

Hey guys. I've been following your thread for a while, figured I would say hi while y'all have been on my favorite topic. I've always had a love affair with M14/M1A's and the 308 caliber. I have a wide variety of milsurps in my safe, that is what got me started following your thread. I will try and chime in if i have anything to add to the conversation.
Excellent! Show us what what you are shooting lately!

Back
Top Bottom